Soil stack mistake, any solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm doing my soil stack, but having to attach it 13cm away from the house to leave space for external wall insulation which I'm having done in a few months.

I thought I was doing well! For the two runs of 40mm waste, I intended to use two 135° bends to get the 40mm pipe closer to the wall so it looks neat and can be clipped. But I just did it with a 90 degree without thinking and it's further away than it should be.

I thought I could just addtadd two 135° bends in to fix it, but then that would move it too far and the insulation would not fit underneath.

I know you can orientate the two 135° bends at any angle to move it further or closer to the wall, but that also changes the height. I already cut the holes in the 110 pipe for the strap bosses, leaving an adequate fall of about 40mm per metre. So I cannot do as I said above without losing the fall.

Any suggestions? Ideally I'd get a couple of shallower bends, but I don't think they exist? I have only seen 90° and 135°. This would be the best solution.

Otherwise I can only think of replacing the whole 3m vertical 110 pipe and buying new strap bosses (as I solvent welded the others) and adjusting everything to work. This is a bit of a hassle and expense, but not the end of the world

Check the attached images...any help appreciated

20200821_121003.jpg
20200821_122146.jpg
20200821_122203.jpg

Sponsored Links
Don't worry - you can get 135 bends M+F ends so they can go closer together. ( may only be in white so paint them ) You have use a 90 on your sink waste:evil: you should use a 92.5 swept bend - or even a T with a cleaning eye facing left on your drawing. Also what I would do is connect up the 40mm wastes from A-B using compression fittings , then when the insulators/renderers arrive you can remove the horizontal pipes - they will thank you for that because they get a clean sweep @ the wall.Also for the same reason leave the vent pipe as it is ( with a bag over the open end ) Then you can run the wastes to the new wall finish. If it then is a little far for clips you can cut short pieces of 15mm copper and use them behind the clips with screws through them....................just wait for ted 456 to appear and start ranting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don't worry - you can get 135 bends M+F ends so they can go closer together. ( may only be in white so paint them ) You have use a 90 on your sink waste:evil: you should use a 92.5 swept bend - or even a T with a cleaning eye facing left on your drawing. Also what I would do is connect up the 40mm wastes from A-B using compression fittings , then when the insulators/renderers arrive you can remove the horizontal pipes - they will thank you for that because they get a clean sweep @ the wall.Also for the same reason leave the vent pipe as it is ( with a bag over the open end ) Then you can run the wastes to the new wall finish. If it then is a little far for clips you can cut short pieces of 15mm copper and use them behind the clips with screws through them....................just wait for ted 456 to appear and start ranting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks, but I dont understand what you mean Male and female ends or how that makes a difference. I haven't see these pieces, can you link me to them?

Using a 92.5 swept bend horizontally, doesn't that just mean the pipe will then be leaning slightly towards or away from the house? Or is it just better to have the slower curve? Should I use one of these on the sink waste and the upstairs bathroom waste?

I was just using solvent weld pieces but not solvent welding them for now. They don't leak at all, so I thought that would be fine for a couple of months, even a tiny leak would be no different to some rain. I did solvent weld the strap bosses. But I'm trying to leave it so the EWI guys can just pop it off and pop it on when they are finished. Hence my dodgy aluminium home made clips to bring it 13cm off the wall!

Good tip about bringing the clips slightly off the wall

Hi, better to have the slower curve - they were the most used until the horrible 90's took over - those things catch hair + debris and you can't get a cleaning snake round them . The slight lean is neglible. Use them everywhere ;) The ones I called M+F are ......@ Screwfix ..FloPlast solvent weld conversion bends 135. hope this helps. Good thinking using the fittings but not welding.

Sponsored Links
Hi, better to have the slower curve - they were the most used until the horrible 90's took over - those things catch hair + debris and you can't get a cleaning snake round them . The slight lean is neglible. Use them everywhere ;) The ones I called M+F are ......@ Screwfix ..FloPlast solvent weld conversion bends 135. hope this helps. Good thinking using the fittings but not welding.

Ah I see, so I would use one of those 135 conversion bends, and then a normal 135 bend connected straight to that, so there is no pipe between? I guess the would give me an extra 20mm clearance maybe? I hope its enough, I'll have to buy some and see

Ok I'll use the slower curve 90 bends everywhere. I already used some of the sharp 90 degree bends in my bathroom, but I had no choice in that situation. It was just the basin, so hopefully will be fine, not too much hair going down there hopefully!

Those 90's are for just your situation - where you have little room . It'll be fine on the basin (y)

was looking for floplast as I was told not to mix brands.

The beauty of solvent weld is all the manufacturers products are (should be!) compatible, absolutely no reason why you cant mix and match, (although Terrain always used a different colour 'grey' to everyone else it seems), only issue I've ever had in 30 years is a Polypipe Tee split as it was too tight to go onto the pipe. Took it back, and the Merchant replaced it, no issues.

The beauty of solvent weld is all the manufacturers products are (should be!) compatible, absolutely no reason why you cant mix and match, (although Terrain always used a different colour 'grey' to everyone else it seems), only issue I've ever had in 30 years is a Polypipe Tee split as it was too tight to go onto the pipe. Took it back, and the Merchant replaced it, no issues.
Thanks yeah I just ordered a 45 polypipe spigot bend in black. Hopefully it will be fine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back