soil stack problem (+NHBC?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

the problem is that occasionally the toilet will 'gurgle' or water will come up through the plughole in the bath (on a couple of occassions foam has overflowed from the toilet), and it'll sometimes be extremely slow for the toilet to clear (i.e. flush it and it almost floods).

The soil stack runs vertically down and then apparently below the flat it turns at right angles, and then turns again after that. So it has been suggested that the blockage is occuring at that bend and waste backs up until the pressure is sufficient to clear it.

Any ideas how to solve this? It has been suggested that some sort of vent (to allow air out) in the flat would perhaps do the trick, and failing that major alterations.

Also - does anyone know the NHBC Standards on the drainage system and know if it's at all likely that such an issue would be a breach at all (with regards to the 3-10 years of their warranty)

Thanks in advance,
and thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
If the effect differs from time to time then it sounds as if your guess is likely.

As I understand it the NHRBC only covers large costs, perhaps £3000 upwards?

Within a year or two the builder may be liable???

Otherwise, its probably something you ( and maybe the flats sharing the soil stack ??? ) will have to pay for.

It could be that one of them is putting something down their toilet which is not permitted.

Tony

Agile said:
As I understand it the NHRBC only covers large costs, perhaps £3000 upwards?

Within a year or two the builder may be liable???

Otherwise, its probably something you ( and maybe the flats sharing the soil stack ??? ) will have to pay for.

It could be that one of them is putting something down their toilet which is not permitted.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm led to believe that the cost will be pretty high if they need to install a gradual bend (rather than the 90 degree one) as the bend is located in an office below and there are concrete joints (or something of that nature) around the bend (hence why they probably just did it that way to save effort in the first place).

It's been over three years since it was built - so not sure if the builder would try and wriggle out of it - hence why the ideal situation would be some sort of building reg or something to try and pin them on or get NHBC to sort things

thanks again

I think you will have a difficult task to get anyone else to pay!

The Building Control will have signed off the work as satisfactory and the builder will probably hide behind that.

In any case its been in use without complaints for so long!

Please reread what I said above.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Phone the NHBC or better still put it in writing and ask them if you have a claim.

After 2 years the builder is not liable but if the NHBC find in your favour it may affect his premiums in future.

The difficulty is the time it has taken for the problem to arise. If it was poor design or installation I would have thought the trouble would have shown up almost immediately.
Also the fact that sometimes it's worse than other times doesn't point to it being an installation fault.

But check with the NHBC, you never know :)

is it at all likely that some sort of air vent added to the pipe my flat would have any luck stopping the water coming back up in this situation?

thanks again

Does this happen in any of the neighbouring flats :?:

Do any off the neighbouring flats have a baby :?:

3 years ago the building control should be ensuring every bend or change of direction has an access/inspection chamber.
Is this the case or can it be rodded anywhere near the bends?
Pete

Fluffster said:
3 years ago the building control should be ensuring every bend or change of direction has an access/inspection chamber.
Is this the case or can it be rodded anywhere near the bends?
Pete

thanks for the reply.

i assume there's some sort of access (i didn't see it myself) - but i assume that there are specific regs regarding this that must be met?

thanks

Yes any bend change in direction should be accessable to clear so if it is open them up and have a butchers your self.
Pete

Zlod,

If you put your e-mail address in your profile I can send you the relevant regulations. It may show you what to look for. :)

denso13 said:
Zlod,

If you put your e-mail address in your profile I can send you the relevant regulations. It may show you what to look for. :)

that would be fantastic - thanks a million:

zl.diynot@[remove-this-bit]sh1te.net

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back