Soil stack vent - roof or air admittance valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I completed the build on my house and moved in about 2 years ago. We have two bathrooms which have been functioning since then. On the left side of the house we have an ensuite which is vented through the roof. In the middle of the house we have a family bathroom which uses an AAV. We have a second ensuite on the right of the house which I am in the process of plumbing in. When we built the house we put all the drainage in place ready and just blocked them off, so at the moment we have a 4" soil pipe coming out of the floor where my toilet will be going. I have been told I need to vent it. My question is, can I use an AAV, or do I need to take it up through the roof to vent it?

Many thanks

Danny

Sponsored Links
in my limited experience, AAVs eventually stick, and stink, which is especially tiresome when they have been boxed in and tiled over, so I would always go for an open vent above window level.

Sponsored Links
You only actually need one vent pipe on the property if they all link into the same drain. So you could get away with an AAV but obviously as stated running a proper vent is always preferrable. It must be either 900mm above the top any window opening within 3000mm or just 3000mm away from the nearest window/opening or air vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back