soil vent pipe(?) in middle of flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do a search for author 'markvh' i've put something i learned onto this site and now i could do with some two heads better than one sorta thing. :confused:

This question is about a lorra standing water on grans flat roof. (I've read the one about chipboard bowing). I just want someone to agree with my theory so I get in gear to try it. this small flat roof over the front door and downstairs lavvy (which sticks out from the house) has what i think can only be a soil vent pipe cap on the surface of the flat roof (council design!). The plasticcup style cap (with vertical slots around the sides and solid top) has come off missing for a few years and now the roof is flooded (were bone dry for twenty year when cap on).

Question: Could this cap have been covering anything that wouldn;t want water down it (like a wallspace vent or roofspace vent if there is such things). is there a test like flushing the lav while listening up there ?

this roof never had guttering (its so small 3.5ftx6ft) and with the cap smack in middle i bet any money they planned it with no or little fall to let smells up and water down this protuding cap.

what d'you think? could I get up there poke with somethink see wot happens yeah ?

p.s i only got internet at work so can't get on here at weekends. :cry:

Sponsored Links
it`s a soilpipe cap or a fan extract cap(solid top) :idea: nothing to do with the state of the roof. There should be a lead tube round the soilpipe made into the felt on the roof. round this tube there should be a seal of some sort to stop water running down the outside of the pipe :idea: Yeah, flush the lav and listen, just don`t stand on the roof, sounds a bit ropey. Hope this helps ;)

thanks Nige F as no fan it must be a soilpipe cap like i thought. lead tube humm that'd be a small diameter blocking easy ahaa.. :idea:

Well there might be a lead outlet..but I meant a sleeve round the soil pipe :oops: :LOL: anyways where pipes penetrate the felt roof there should be lead tubes.to withstand the hot pitch when the roof is laid.

Sponsored Links
sorted it thanks Nige F. There was a 3 inch plastic pipe in a recess like you figured. Fished out a deoderant can wedged in top under silt which wasn't helping maximumn wetness protection on the p*$$ing roof !

Brushed water off then made a filter from roll of plastic mesh tie wrapped with plant pot saucer on top. sealed in with gooey mastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back