Solar charger Controller stopped working

Sponsored Links
What reading does the controller usually tend to show for the batteries?

Have you tried dismantling the system, and taking a voltage reading of each battery with a voltage tester?

Could it be there is just not enough sunlight at the moment to keep the batteries charged?

I know some systems lock out if the battery drops below a critical level, I would try charging batteries from mains, then see if problem continues. It should not discharge below 21.4 volt reading the link, so the system may assume a damaged battery.

What reading does the controller usually tend to show for the batteries?
Well it used to say 28V but now only say about 14V, which is about the 2 batterys together

Have you tried dismantling the system, and taking a voltage reading of each battery with a voltage tester?
Yes it fairly low from sun rise to sun set dose not go up
Could it be there is just not enough sunlight at the moment to keep the batteries charged?
Doubt full considering the solar pannel is rated at 31V and it reads 32/34V

Sponsored Links
I mean, isolate the system completely, get the two batteries, and individually test them with a 2 probe voltage tester. Ideally between the positive and negative you would have a reading on your two probe voltage tester something near and above 12v.

My apologies if I have misunderstood.

I know some systems lock out if the battery drops below a critical level, I would try charging batteries from mains, then see if problem continues. It should not discharge below 21.4 volt reading the link, so the system may assume a damaged battery.
I dont have main I only have a generator, the generator is the only thing that charges the batterys but I have not really been able to fully charge them as its only an 8.3amp out put DC on the generator and when the lights start going dim I start the generator up for 1/2 hour or so but I guess a 110amp battery would take 110 devide by 8.3 would be 13 1/2 hours charging time I guess

Yes you could be right if the solar charger has some stupid cut off device then I am screwed! Only thing is to disactivate it somehow or just bypass the solar charger stright to a set of batterys somehow

A lead acid battery does not like being discharged, the sulphur hardens over time, and when I found a battery which had been left discharged for some months, putting it on charge it seemed to accept no charge for around 12 days, then as if some one had flicked a switch, it charged up again.

So if a battery is not fully recharged, slowly over time more and more sulphur builds up on the plates, a smart charger which charges to 14.4 volts then allows the voltage to drop to 12.8 volts then turns on again over a week or two can often rejuvenate, a steady 13.8 volts will to some extent recharge the battery, but the cells become unequal, so the smart charger works better.

For a flooded battery (one where the water can be topped up) often we use 14.8 volt but we also monitor the amps, so depending on the amp/hour of the battery a current is selected, likely around 6 amp for a 110 AH battery, and we use a stage charger, normally three stages.
1) Charge at max output of charger until a voltage of 14.8 volts.
2) Maintain at 14.8 volts until current drops to around 6 amp, which should mean battery around 80% charged.
3) Float charge at around 13.4 volt until removed from the charger.
This is how milk float and fork lift batteries were charged.
However with narrow boats the engine did not run long enough, and they use the battery while being charged, so they wanted to charge faster, so they use a pulse charger, this charges the battery then stops and measures the rate of voltage decay, and adjusts the pulses to match the decay rate, Sterling marine make these which can combine the output of two 70 amp alternators to recharge the battery bank often 3 x 160 AH for domestic and one 160 AH for engine starting the latter is just float charged.

Even so they have to try to get a shore hook up one a month to fully de-sulphur the plates.

Best is to move away from lead acid, we use to use nickel iron batteries, these don't mind being left in a discharged state, today it is the Li-ion battery, but the 3.2 kWh (50 volt) one I have will cost £1,100 I am told when I enquired about fitting a second one. These can be charged and discharged faster than the lead acid, but they must not be over charged, so they come as a package with a built in computer which controls the charge and discharge rate, these came in with lap tops, phones, and electric vehicles, I also have two for my e-bikes mine is 12 Ah at 48 volt, and wife's rated at 350 Wh, but the chargers although faster are also a lot more expensive, also use four 20 volt 2 Ah for my garden tools, I used them in pairs, and it takes around an hour before they are discharged, and an hour to recharge so just swap each hour.

However no question lead acid are a lot cheaper.

I have debated the idea of two batteries for narrow boats so one is only charged for a week, and other cycled the swap so other is only charged for a week, this may return all the sulphur back into acid, but before we set it up, my son sold his narrow boat, so theroy never tested.

A 30 amp stage charger will likely cost around £80, one of these on the generator output would speed up the recharging of the battery, however the smart charger I use which is only 3.8 amp on a 80 Ah battery only charges at 3.8 amp for around 4 hours, by that point the voltage has risen and charge rate drops to 3 amp, it will then take 24 hours at the lower rate, but my point is high output chargers will not help at 14.4 volt there will just reduce output, it needs a special charger using 14.8 volt to speed up the recharging, but unless it reduces at 80% charge it will buckle the plates, and if set to drop to float at 6 amp, and you are using 6 amp it will not reduce the charge rate early enough, so with that type of charger you can use the battery and charge the battery at the same time.

So you have to decide how to maintain the batteries, you need once a month to be able to charge for 24 hours, as the narrow boats do.

I would go onto a narrow boat forum and ask on there for ideas, as it seems you are doing nearly the same thing.

What do the settings say? Assuming you have 2 batteries in series how does it know to use 24v settings? Have you tried with one battery? It seems you can adjust the float voltage, can this be set higher to reflect they are 24v batteries? Maybe try the batts in parallel

A lead acid battery does not like being discharged, the sulphur hardens over time, and when I found a battery which had been left discharged for some months, putting it on charge it seemed to accept no charge for around 12 days, then as if some one had flicked a switch, it charged up again.
Was it damaged permantly damaged or did it recover to previus state?

So if a battery is not fully recharged, slowly over time more and more sulphur builds up on the plates, a smart charger which charges to 14.4 volts then allows the voltage to drop to 12.8 volts then turns on again over a week or two can often rejuvenate, a steady 13.8 volts will to some extent recharge the battery, but the cells become unequal, so the smart charger works better.
So in a situation like this; is more voltage better?

Best is to move away from lead acid, we use to use nickel iron batteries, these don't mind being left in a discharged state, today it is the Li-ion battery,
Can I buy one for myself of say around 110 Amp/Hr?

A 30 amp stage charger will likely cost around £80, one of these on the generator output would speed up the recharging of the battery, however the smart charger I use which is only 3.8 amp on a 80 Ah battery only charges at 3.8 amp for around 4 hours, by that point the voltage has risen and charge rate drops to 3 amp, it will then take 24 hours at the lower rate, but my point is high output chargers will not help at 14.4 volt there will just reduce output, it needs a special charger using 14.8 volt to speed up the recharging, but unless it reduces at 80% charge it will buckle the plates, and if set to drop to float at 6 amp, and you are using 6 amp it will not reduce the charge rate early enough, so with that type of charger you can use the battery and charge the battery at the same time.
Is this what happens when you over charge a LAB then?

So you have to decide how to maintain the batteries, you need once a month to be able to charge for 24 hours, as the narrow boats do.
So once a month when you do the trickle charge thing, what voltage and amprage do you use to charge the battery?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back