Solar charger Controller stopped working

I did my foundation degree, but realised to go further I needed to improve my maths, so I went to do an 'A' level in Maths, if I did three 'A' levels then £10 but one cost over £100 so did three, so did art (Digital photography) and Physics. Well the 'A' level Physics was more like what I did in 1968 as 'O' level, in fact worse, the fluorescent tube missed out the ballast, so either it would go bang or not work, they had missed out the main part. How crazy to teach children some thing they would need to re-learn the correct version latter, it would be like teaching children were delivered by storks.

Even the maths, it seems to learn about imaginary numbers you need to do some advanced version. We were given some quadratic equations to work through and lecturer commented how long I had taken, so I said number x was a hard one, and he then apologised and said it should have said find REAL answers.

Which school text books like that any wonder why kids today seem thick, it is not their fault it is the teachers.

Although even today at 72 I am still not sure of some answers, back in around 1970 I was given a home work "Why does the voltage reduce in a lead acid battery" this was well before internet, so into the collage library, I could find out why other cells voltage dropped, but not the lead acid, the Danielle Cell keeps at a steady voltage and is used to calibrate volt meters, and any internal resistance would only change cell voltage under load, so I had to guess, today internet is our friend and this link tells all but back then it was much harder.

The main problem with lead acid is you can't speed up the charging process, well you can a little, but not much, so the best charger on the market may recharge the battery in 8 hours, and the cheap Lidi smart charger takes 10 hours. But the main thing is you want a charger where you can put a battery on charge and walk away and leave it. With a battery which has not been fully charged for months, it needs to be left on charge for 2 weeks.

I remember as a kid carrying the accumulator to the TV shop to be charged, radios had a 90 volt disposable battery and a 2 volt rechargeable battery the latter for the heaters in the valves, the shop would have two rails at a fixed voltage, and rows of clips to add or remove cells for charging, it would think a garage today may charge a battery for you, but I don't know where else one could go if you don't have mains supply. In my great grandfathers day you bought petrol in cans from the chemist, I think it was used for cleaning, time moves on, and today likely you can't buy petrol at the chemists shop, never tried. Maybe you can buy lighter fuel.

Most likely place to get a battery charged is a caravan site, but really you need two batteries, one in use and one being charged, same as with old days of valve radios.

Sponsored Links
I did my foundation degree, but realised to go further I needed to improve my maths, so I went to do an 'A' level in Maths, if I did three 'A' levels then £10 but one cost over £100 so did three, so did art (Digital photography) and Physics. Well the 'A' level Physics was more like what I did in 1968 as 'O' level, in fact worse, the fluorescent tube missed out the ballast, so either it would go bang or not work, they had missed out the main part. How crazy to teach children some thing they would need to re-learn the correct version latter, it would be like teaching children were delivered by storks.
If you watch David Icks pod cast he talks about Children being tough what to think and what to remember at school not how to think. Its hyronic really to think that the education system is also desinged to keep everyone distracted from the truth and to busy beliving the lies to rebel against there own enslavement and keep them on the hoax of if they study hard at irrelivent ****e they will get rewarded in the future, but as everything the esablisment tells us is a lie! infact when it comes there time all those job that they where promised will be lost to a great reset of a financial crash and A.I taking what jobs where left after the first. Well they dont need us anymore as they have robots now so they tell us, and the start of culling the worlds population back to 1 or 1/2 a billion has allready begun with the fake vaccine. Well can only be a good thing really IMHO (theres going to be a few more pieces of **** terminated from this fake vaccine before agenda 2030 anyway)

Although even today at 72 I am still not sure of some answers, back in around 1970 I was given a home work "Why does the voltage reduce in a lead acid battery" this was well before internet, so into the collage library, I could find out why other cells voltage dropped, but not the lead acid, the Danielle Cell keeps at a steady voltage and is used to calibrate volt meters, and any internal resistance would only change cell voltage under load, so I had to guess, today internet is our friend and this link tells all but back then it was much harder.
Surly even back then they did not teach something like that at school did they not? or i guess how the world has changed for the very worst indeed

The main problem with lead acid is you can't speed up the charging process, well you can a little, but not much, so the best charger on the market may recharge the battery in 8 hours, and the cheap Lidi smart charger takes 10 hours. But the main thing is you want a charger where you can put a battery on charge and walk away and leave it. With a battery which has not been fully charged for months, it needs to be left on charge for 2 weeks.
If we increase the voltage will it charge better then

I remember as a kid carrying the accumulator to the TV shop to be charged, radios had a 90 volt disposable battery and a 2 volt rechargeable battery the latter for the heaters in the valves, the shop would have two rails at a fixed voltage, and rows of clips to add or remove cells for charging, it would think a garage today may charge a battery for you, but I don't know where else one could go if you don't have mains supply. In my great grandfathers day you bought petrol in cans from the chemist, I think it was used for cleaning, time moves on, and today likely you can't buy petrol at the chemists shop, never tried. Maybe you can buy lighter fuel.
Petrol will clean up dirty oil well!

Back in 1980 I went out to work in Algeria, I as an auto electrician was looking after a large fleet of vehicles, and the Algerian batteries were not dry charged, so I had to mix acid, and had a container with rows of batteries, but keeping the fleet running was hard, and I must have tried every method I could to keep the batteries running.

It was a balance, too much charge and if killed the battery, too little and the vehicle would not start. Next big job the same, this time Falklands, and I must have tried every trick in the book. I thought I knew it all, but I moved to industrial electrics and left auto electrics behind.

So it was around 2015 when playing are recharging batteries I realised what I had thought was the case, was not quite true, I had two tools which I had never had before, one the smart charger, the other an energy monitor, so I could now see what happens over time. Stright.jpgThe charger actually tells me when the battery is likely fully charged, however leaving it on charge
Honda combined.jpg
I can see where the charger turns on/off or up/down many times, as the charge is absorbed into the battery, the voltage see/saws between 12.8 and 14.4 volt, the pattern changes over time, and the on charge time reduces, until it charges around once a day for maybe just a few minutes, the pattern does change with battery size and type, and also if still connected to the car, seems Jag must report to base once a day as it would restart charging same time every day.

Sorry can't remember the history of this battery, but the point is all those years ago I was unaware of how much time mattered, and likely dumped many good batteries as did not have the time or smart charger to nurse them back to life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back