Solar pipe size in English?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, possibly stupid question here...I've just moved into a house that has a solar thermal system for the hot water. I want to replace and relocate the cylinder, and so I need to know what size the corrugated stainless pipe is. Having not worked with it before, it's not simply a case of looking at it.

Is DN16 roughly 16mm outside diameter, or 16mm inside diameter? The obvious method of looking at what's printed on the nuts hasn't helped, as it doesn't say! The nuts are about the same size as 22mm compression nuts

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
OK, possibly stupid question here...I've just moved into a house that has a solar thermal system for the hot water. I want to replace and relocate the cylinder, and so I need to know what size the corrugated stainless pipe is. Having not worked with it before, it's not simply a case of looking at it.

Is DN16 roughly 16mm outside diameter, or 16mm inside diameter? The obvious method of looking at what's printed on the nuts hasn't helped, as it doesn't say! The nuts are about the same size as 22mm compression nuts

Thanks in advance

BES & make sure you get the right water/glycol mix in when you're finished.
Not really a job for the hard of thinking, however.

DN stands for Nominal Diameter and is measured in mm, so yes, DN16 is roughly 16mm, the same way that DN100 is roughly 4" pipe.

Pipe isn't generally measured on nominal bore, as you aren't always going to have the luxury of measuring a wall thickness.

Puller - about as helpful as usual :-/

TeaTime - Thanks, I'm aware that DN16 equates to 16mm but with corrugated stainless pipe the external dimension is difficult to measure as it's not constant, hence my thinking that it might relate to the bore in this case, even though that would be unusual on plain pipe....

Sponsored Links
Well, you are right and you are wrong, lol, :LOL:

The measurement comes from the inner ridge of the corragated section.

So DN16 is 16.5 mm OD of the inner ridge, where as the raised ridge edge will be 21.4mm

They refer to this as the inside diameter, although it is not to be confused with the nominal bore, because that negates the wall thickness.

Hope this helps.

Puller - about as helpful as usual..

Ah, you wanted it sugar coated???!!!......... :LOL: :LOL:

Not at all, I'd have merely liked you to answer the question or keep your mouth shut. I asked for a size conversion, I'm perfectly capable of finding somewhere that sells it, and I know how to mix glycol.

Calm down dear, I'm just pulling your leg......... :LOL:

Like Trac gas pipe, joint compound is a must for these types of joints & jag it right up.
HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back