Solar-powered garden lights indoors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone know how well (if at all!) 'solar-powered garden lights' (lights on continuously during hours of darkness, not PIR-controlled) would get charged if sited indoors, close to a window?

I ask because I am considering ways of achieving some nocturnal lighting (for 'security') in a house which is sometimes unoccupied for appreciable periods with the whole electrical installation switched off.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
“Empty” homes as you describe are not more secure with lights on and open curtains

Sponsored Links
“Empty” homes as you describe are not more secure with lights on and open curtains
Some of the (upstairs) curtains have been 'closed' for many years.

If you think that that, in itself,is a 'giveway', my immediate neighbour never seems to open their bedroom curtains, whether they are at home or not.

Hi, does anyone know how well (if at all!) 'solar-powered garden lights' (lights on continuously during hours of darkness, not PIR-controlled) would get charged if sited indoors, close to a window?

In summer - not well, in winter - not at all. Our well sited ones, on a bright winters day, just manage a couple of hours..

In summer - not well, in winter - not at all. Our well sited ones, on a bright winters day, just manage a couple of hours..
Thanks. That's what I rather suspected/feared.

I may have to try to think of a Plan B. It could theoretically be done with a battery(ies) (charged when the house was occupied), but it would have to be a pretty big battery if it was going to work for appreciable periods of time, given that I would guess that it would probably need to supply at least something like 10 Ah per day at 12V.

There is a large flat roof, so I suppose I could very easily put a more 'serious' solar panel up there.

Kind Regards, John

There is a large flat roof, so I suppose I could very easily put a more 'serious' solar panel up there.
Thinking about that, it might not need much more than an average of 20W or so (during daylight) to keep the battery charged.

Does anyone know about the likely performance of small solar panels during Winter? The situation is such that I could 'optimally orientate' the panel.

Kind Regards, John

The panels on typical garden solar lights, around maybe 30x30mm, but they only power a tiny white LED. I doubt anyone might be fooled by the light from a few of those, into believing the place was occupied.

The best one we have for light output, has a solar cell as above, but uses a PIR to switch it on for a few seconds when triggered, and has a light output of maybe 0.5w.

The panels on typical garden solar lights, around maybe 30x30mm, but they only power a tiny white LED. I doubt anyone might be fooled by the light from a few of those, into believing the place was occupied.
Yes, some are like that, but the ones I have been looking at claim to be able to be able to do a lot more than "power a tiny white LED", some being claimed to be suitable for 'illuminating stairs' etc.

However, in my most recent posts, I was not talking/asking about them. Rather, as I said, I was talking about "more serious solar panels" which would typically be at least 300 x 200 mm or so in size (and size, per se, would not matter to me). My problem is that they are generally just described by a 'wattage' figure (e.g. 10W/20W/50W/whatever) and I have no idea what this means in relation to likely performance during UK Winter - hence I was hoping that someone could give me some idea.

Kind Regards, John

I have some outdoor lights not in use, and they have not lit up in the house. Even outside not too good, looking at my solar panels direct sun light great 4 kW but dull day as inside the house would be down to 200 watt, same with a solar panel in the window of the caravan, idea was to keep battery charged, never worked.

Likely you could build some yourself, use a solar panel designed for a caravan to keep battery topped up with a few 3 volt lamps maybe 3 in series so 9 volt instead of 12 volt, some thing like this may produce enough however I went to using two 12 volt batteries and swapping them around as the solar panels did not seem to cut it.

Maybe some thing like this 1700441867614.pngwith the panel outside may work.

I must admit I agree with
I have removed most the PIR outside lights, can't see why I should make it safe for intruders, let them trip over rubbish in the garden, and seeing a torch in a house is more likely to raise the alarm to when one can roam around using provided lighting.

We were lucky we were not broken into, it was a worry when looking after my mother as insurance would not cover if left I think for more than 3 weeks unoccupied. But we never turned the power off, heating set low, and no lights switched on, we had never intended leaving it unoccupied for a couple of years, we moved in with mother so she could be released from hospital, we had not intended it to be long term.

I can't remember how long we lived with her, I know over a year and we should have paid double council tax, as if we were going to tell anyone we were not living there. Visited a few times a week to pick up mail and visit father-in-law next door but one.

But busy street, and we had lived there since they had been built so we hoped neighbours would keep an eye out. But next door had a motor bike stolen and he was living there.

ok probably of zero use but perhaps worth a mention
i have several ryobi lights as backups and outside illumination
i have for example this one random link
500 200 40 lumens now as its rated as 4w for 500 lumens [i think ] that would equate to perhaps 0.3w for 40 lumens so perhaps run approaching 12 days on a 5ah battery
now whilst not ulta bright its actually like a small table lamp so very handy

now again probable off zero use but ryobi do a 20w solar panel and battery charger /power pack system not cheep at around £170 plus battery but worth a mention you need the more expensive 90 ish invertor not the cheap 54 ish one

now the lights and solar system i showed wont work as one as both need to be plugged on the battery but it gives you connected ideas and what to expect ??

Last edited:
I have some outdoor lights not in use, and they have not lit up in the house. Even outside not too good,
That was my suspicion - hence my question.
Likely you could build some yourself, use a solar panel designed for a caravan to keep battery topped up ...
That's the sort of approach I've been talking about in my most recent posts.

However, although I've only had a quick look so far, most of the panels I've seen so far are described as "12V or "24V". If those are the output voltages, that would obviously not be enough to charge 12V or 24V batteries. I need to look more carefully because there surely must be some (maybe with nominal outputs of about 14.5V or 29V) designed for that purpose?

Kind Regards, John

... i have several ryobi lights as backups and outside illumination
500 200 40 lumens now as its rated as 4w for 500 lumens [i think ] that would equate to perhaps 0.3w for 40 lumens so perhaps run approaching 12 days on a 5ah battery .... now whilst not ulta bright its actually like a small table lamp so very handy
I don't disagree with your arithmetic (0.3W at 18V would provide about 300 hours with a 5Ah battery, which is around 12 days of 24/7 operation). However, despite what you say about brightness, I must say that I was thinking in terms of at least 3W, rather than 0.3W, so one tenth or less of the 'lifespan' you suggest, which would not be enough. However, that's using a 'little power tool battery' - with, say, an 80 Ah battery, I should get at least a few days - but that's not my most favoured approach.
now again probable off zero use but ryobi do a 20w solar panel and battery charger /power pack system not cheep at around £170 plus battery but worth a mention you need the more expensive 90 ish invertor not the cheap 54 ish one
I certainly don't need an inverter - I could/would run my lamps directly from a solar panel (or battery).

Kind Regards, John

my thoughts are the light source at or near the window will be perhaps 5 times the value so look similar to a say 6w room centre light source where 1.5w will go away to the back wall and perhaps 3w sideways and perhaps 1.5w forward so a .3w will replicate a 6w equivalent room central light at the window??
i will tomorrow try my newest fully charged 5ah battey but please dont expect a result for at least 10 day continuous trial ;)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back