Solar PV - Triangular Shaped Panels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone make triangular shaped pv panels?

I couldn't find any, but surely there would be a huge market for them as they could utilise the limited space on hipped roof semis far more efficiently?

Sponsored Links
I would think that because the pitch of roofs can vary so much there would need to be too many different angled triangles to make it viable to manufacture them. Perhaps a manufacturer might make a bespoke batch if an estate developer requested a large enough quantity of them.

Perhaps a manufacturer might make a bespoke batch if an estate developer requested a large enough quantity of them.

Hope not - It'd be a nightmare if a replacement was ever needed!

It seems "obvious" that they would be a great idea but as I have never seen any IRL and you can't find them online, then they probably don't exist. As such, they apparently aren't such a great idea. They will probably appear as the manufacturing costs come down.
I guess they would have to go on their own string as well as panels on a string need to be as electrically similar as possible for highest efficiency.

Sponsored Links
I guess they would have to go on their own string as well as panels on a string need to be as electrically similar as possible for highest efficiency.

You could still use the same triangular panels throughout, but have two where you would normally have a single rectangular panel. So only one string should be required.

Square-Solar-PV.png

Since solar panels shouldn't be placed too close to the roof edge, 45° triangular panels should still suit the typical 40°-50° UK roof pitches.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back