Soldering sheet lead?

eu'contraire sir

the origin of plumbing dates back from the roman times when they used to use rolled lead pipe.
in use up to the 20th century

plumbum Pb lead the origin of the term Plumber ;)

Don't teach yer granny to suck eggs :p

'O hydravliko' is the Greek term for plumber (masculine)or 'E hydravliki '(feminine) whilst 'ein wasser mechanik' is the German term.

'Nero is the Greek word for drinking water,handy if your ever in need of a drink of water in Greece :p

Boro na eygo ena flitzania/vazzo to nero, parakalo?'

Can I have a cup/glass of water ,please.

Keep yer Latin :LOL:

Sponsored Links
hi, I did the same thing a few years ago on my wooden post tops, I used 4lb lead and dressed them over about 1/2 inch down all round then cut up the corners to the dressed part then i the cut around about 1.1/2 all round and scolloped them using the corners as the edge of the scollop then dressed them back looked good and did the job , after all the rain only goes into the top not the sides they can be fixed with 4 copper nails in the sides of the scollops
mine was for decoration purposes

mick

No-body has mentioned the fact that lead or copper topped fence posts are likely to be just fence posts in the morning after the local gypsy/chav mongers have had their way with them.

Sponsored Links
I live in a very select part of town (so why am I doing my own fencing?). We employ powdered flunkies to make sure the lower orders are kept at a safe distance.

Seriously, I thought about the chav problem myself. Hence I WON'T be polishing any copper or using patination oil on any lead. I actually want it to look old and tarnished as quickly as possible.

By the way, I'm not sure what all this talk of 'dressing' lead is about. But I get the impression it translates to 'bash the lead about until it's the shape you want'. I'll look into into further. But if any of you know a 'lead bashing for dummies' guide on t'interwebs then let me know.

By the way, I'm not sure what all this talk of 'dressing' lead is about. But I get the impression it translates to 'bash the lead about until it's the shape you want'. I'll look into into further. But if any of you know a 'lead bashing for dummies' guide on t'interwebs then let me know.

Nah,there is an awful lot of skill involved in lead work,proper lead work I mean,sheet roofs and the like it really is a trade on it's own now but that's were our trade originated from and it is a link with the past in a craftmanship sense but I,personally,don't know of any plumber who would consider himself able to do that sort of work nowadays.

In anyevent you really can't do both 'aspects' of the trade. With leadwork you really have to be doing it all of the time so the internal side of the job,pipework & etc,becomes lost to you and likewise with plumbers doing the 'internal stuff.

Of course I can dress some lead round a chimney and do flashings etc and can still even make a lead joint (but your not supposed to nowadays)and the like but then that isn't really proper leadwork,I mean roofers knock eff out of lead on roofs and say they can dress it but all they do is ruin it.

Why criticise the OP for wanting to try a bit of lead work? It's a disappearing skill and if he wants to try his hand at it, no harm to him. At least he'll be doing something useful with his time rather than slobbing out in front of the TV like most of you will be!

I must admit though that first I would try either cutting the tops at a slope or to a flat point then working the lead sheet to cover that and go down the sides a little. Then I would fix the caps firmly to the posts to prevent some barsteward from stealing them!

Now, anybody want to give me some ideas on re-lining the valleys behind my chimneys, so as to encourage water to run down the roof and not run down the gable making nasty mouldy stains on the spar-dash?

Plombe, french for lead, inflicted upon us after the french last won a war (1066), leading to plumber. Soon to be known by its Polish equivalent.

For sheet lead I would do only try lead burning not try to solder it with a torch.

I also use lead 4 PSF as for it tarmnishing I would say possibly less then copper.

I used lead coated copper on a roofing job where the home owner said money is no object so he had me use sheet lead for the roofing base which I had lead burned at the seams and used the lead coated copper for the exposed flashing and counter flashing after the base lead was treated a quarry tile roof was installed.

not everyone can afford to pt a $500,000 + roof on a one family home and expect this roof to last no less the 300 years ( I wonder how the owner will know for sure)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back