Solenoid valve question..

Yes i guess it would be the same thing as asking people who used to create applications using combination of logic CMOS chips each with a function of its own, so one could say the CMOS chips are now replaced by applets, each with a function, and so you compose or create an application using different applets and achieve the same result but using a single micro-processor instead, with a few supporting devices input and output buffers and drivers. I am too old a dog to learn new tricks!

Bernard, I hope you composed that programe yourself! (debounced inputs from 6 switches)
we used a tiny capacitor to achieve our debouncing one per switch input!

Sponsored Links
( OP ) fook me , i know you may enjoy electronics but why o why do you want to make a mountain out of a mole hill when you can just wire a pump like what
dan has suggested in . there are times the easiest solution is best , jesus op , you've gone to the trouble of doing drawings on computer , figuring out circuits and components , taking time to post on this forum , reading up research on regulations and etc etc :sleep: , just wire that pump in and be done with it , surely you've got better or more important things to do with your time especially with skills you got:LOL:

Why not just my solution of a siphon tube!

Nothing simpler or cheaper!

most certainly agile ( most simplest ) but get a feeling use of a circuit somewhere will turn him on

Sponsored Links
Bernard, I hope you composed that programe yourself!
Yes I did many years ago and used it many time since. By shifting each input into a shift register at 1 milli second clock it is simple to debounce and then detect both stable states ( ON and OFF ) and changes of states for each input.

I do use a series resistor and capacitor to 0v to reduce any transient voltages that could damage the processor's input.

When National Lottery was launched in 1994, why i had this strange feeling that i could break the odds and win more than you would if you chose numbers purely randomly, so i had a plan, I spent hours writing a program in GWBasic, to select random numbers from a pool of highly likely numbers ( These were those numbers that occurred more frequently) so for instant if number 5 only occurred 2 times and number 6 occurred 4 times, I would ignore 5 altogether and select 6 in a pool of about 25 numbers, so by doing this I eliminated almost 24 numbers from the total 49, and then ask my programe to select randomly 6 numbers, I then played lotto for real, and indeed the odds came down from about 1in 55 for 3 number win to 1 in 20, this way I was loosing less but also winning more ten pound wins, this was not really a good plan, so I modified it by asking the programe (asking means reprogramming it to select numbers differently) this time I would enter the real results of past 20 or 25 weeks actual lotto numbers that were drawn, and I ask the programme to select 6 numbers randomly, from all 49 numbers, but then compare how it would have stood or compared with the past 20 or 25 weeks actual results, it would then run through all those numbers finding a 3 number match, 4 number match and even a 5 number match, and increment counters for each of these matches, and I would ask the programe to print the results only of those random numbers it selected that yielded in more than say 5 wins in that past 20 or 25 weeks results, then as it would print those 6 numbers it selected and I would then do the lotto for real, and needless to say I started to win more each week, including many 4 numbers, to the extent that the lotto retailer was surprised when I told him I use a special programe. He wanted me to sell him that programe and I said it is too early yet for me to sell it as I want to make sure there are no hurdles or that i might be winning by chance.

But before I could continue to do that, my pot luck struck me at my work, I won a large contract and got very busy minting money in my work, that let go my lottery playing and I have never since played and I made a fortune from this contract that lasted 4 to 5 years.

Now I would never ever do lotto since it is no longer appealing as they have increased the numbers to 59, and prices are now hugely diluted and also when they brought in wednesday draw, that diluted larger wins, making it less and less attractive. I can't remember the last time I bought a lotto ticket.

My program used to run on a computer (windows 3.11) running Dos 6.2 and running GWbasic, used to take like half a day to select or come up with best about 50 to 100 sets of 6 random number selection that would have yielded some kind of wins in the past 25 weeks, which means the numbers were based on the past 20 or 25 weeks trend, and best combination to win several weeks among those 25 weeks.I was not loosing any money, but i was not gaining much either, but there was this prospect that one day i might hit the jackpot.

When National Lottery was launched in 1994, why i had this strange feeling that i could break the odds and win more than you would if you chose numbers purely randomly, so i had a plan, I spent hours writing a program in GWBasic, to select random numbers from a pool of highly likely numbers ( These were those numbers that occurred more frequently) so for instant if number 5 only occurred 2 times and number 6 occurred 4 times, I would ignore 5 altogether and select 6 in a pool of about 25 numbers, so by doing this I eliminated almost 24 numbers from the total 49,

What am I missing?

I thought that the numbers were totally random and any number had an equal chance of being selected?

So why is this not the case?

What am I missing?

I thought that the numbers were totally random and any number had an equal chance of being selected?

So why is this not the case?
+1 can't see it being possible

EDIT if it was possible someone would have figured it out already

Last edited:
Numbers in pure maths and theory have equal chance, and totally random, not in a mechanical see through drum that spins and loads of balls with numbers do not behave as in theory. Just a fraction of minute differences and neither are all the balls the same exact size down to a nano meter. So this explains why some numbers tend to come more often which in theory they shouldn't, I understand the very nature of random can also mean the same number could come up 100 out of 100 times.

I was asked to make a machine called (Staff Random Selector)that where odds can be selected between 1 in 1 to 1 in 100, this was to stop store staff when leaving they press a button and if they are unlucky, a red light comes up and they have to stop for a search, if they were lucky a green light comes up and the automatic door latch opens up and the staff is free to go, when it comes to Red, the staff must surrender for a search of their bags, this was to stop store security picking on any particular person leaving the store.

Unfortunately, at times it would stop at red time after time and I was told that there must be something wrong with it, and I then had a job explaining that it is the nature of randomness, that one cannot predict what number/colour it will land on. Of course to prove that my machine had no fault, when selector was turned to 1in 1, it stopped at red every time and when set to 1 in 2, it was as expected 3 green and 7 reds, in the first 10 attempts, and over a 100 attempts it was more evened out i.e 49/51

as an example, i used a counter that counted between 0 and 99, 0 would be allocated Red and 1-99 would be allocated green,, so the counter is always counting and no one can predict what at any given time the count is, so when store staff leaves, they strike the hit button, not knowing what number the counter is pointing to, so when a staff strikes the button, if the counter was at 0 it would go red, the frequency of the counter was approx 10Khz, fast enough to make it harder for the next person in the queue not to work out exact timing when to strike again in order to get a green, this is how the client (store ) could set his odds by shifting the ring counter termination setting, so you could set it to terminate at say 25 by selecting numbers from two decade rotary switches. this way the ring counter counts from 0 to 24 and on 25th pulse it resets to zero or jumps to zero and continues. This would give them odds of 1 in 25..you might ask why the store not search every staff when leaving, a large store employing over a 1000 workers cannot afford the time to stop all their staff and search everyone leaving, this is to do with loss prevention.

But don't forget, for national lotto, all I had to get was 3 number match to get my tenner back, for every £10 i spent, I got most of it back, often winning 4 number match, overall I was not making much, some weeks i would lose a few quid, but as I said it gave me a chance to go for the big wins which stands the same chance as anyone else just placing 6 random numbers.

The biggest draw back in my program was updating it automatically, so if I was sampling the randomly selected set of 6 numbers, i had to compare this with the actual results of the past say 20 weeks, so each week goes by, I need to remove 21st week's numbers and replace it with the latest results, this involved a lot of typing, such as line number 1020 a=03: b=16: c=21: d=35: e=42: f=43: g=14 go to 680
and so I had to retype all of the above manually, I made so many lottery analysing programmes to actually work out the odds which apparently were very close to theoretical figures when just asking computer to select any 6 random numbers without comparing it with any past results.

I also did perms, and won lots of money whenever I got 3 matches or 4 matches,
since in perms of 7 numbers if you win a 3 number match you would win 4 winning combinations, and if you got 4 numbers out of 7, you would win 3 wins of 4number matches, as well as 4 ins of 3 number matches. I spent hours and hours and I am glad i got that big contract that diverted me from lotto, who knows I might have ended up losing big time, or who knows it might have been the other way.

of course what i did was calculated gambling.

By the way when you tell people that lotto only allows you to choose 6 numbers out of 49 (based on original system not the current one with 59 numbers) I used to tell them that do you know you can actually choose 7 numbers if you want, or even 8, or even 10 or even more and as many numbers as you want, people didn't believe me, they said not that was not possible, and I used to end up explaining to them how they could select 10 numbers if they so wished but at a cost, and so i prepared charts to reveal how much it would cost them if they were to play 7 numbers and 8 and so on, here is a little brief based on original lotto games:
6 numbers cost £1.00
7 numbers cost £7.00

8 numbers cost £28.00 (if you match 3 numbers you win 10 times, 4 num.match you win 6 times and 5 number match you win 3 times
9 numbers cost £84.00
10 numbers cost £210.00

11 numbers cost £462.00 ( If you win 3 numbers out of 11, you would win 56 wins of £10.00 and this gives you maximum chance, besides if you happen to match 4 numbers, you would win 21 times of 4 number matches! and 5number matches will get you 6 times. (bear in mind, if you were to fill 462 boards that would be approx 100 game cards to be punched into the lotto machine and so you would frustrate the lotto retailer! unless lotto allowed you to do so many online tickets)

12 numbers cost £924.00 to play. (but now the 3 number match will only occur 84 times, which means if you got 3 number match out of 12, you will only get £840 back, and lose £84.00, but equally it gives you a higher chance to match 4 number win, that will occur 28 times, and if you were lucky and got 5 number match, though odds are still high for that, but it would occur 7 times.

So before anyone says anything, i have done my homework, you stand a good chance of winning more from 11 numbers each week winning more than you would lose some weeks, and those weeks you lost, you will soon make it up by huge wins from a 4 number match! You might say it averages out, it doesn't and why do you think National Lottery has made it harder now! there must be some reason why they raised the stake to £2.00 and introduced 59 numbers.

I have absolutely no idea what the current loto costs and all I know is that it has increased the pool of numbers from 49 to is it 59, but i have no idea what it now wins you.

You could test my theory, choose 11 numbers, and see how they favour each week, numbers must be odds and even spread evenly, and see how you would have done, but choose those 11 numbers that have higher frequency, i.e. that have been coming up more regularly during the past say 25 to 30 draws.

another thing you will notice, there is nearly always one number from a previous weeks draw, more than often. this defies theoretical odds.
secondly if people realise what a chance of winning jackpot (1 in 13.9million) really means, it means almost impossible, so in that case no one would actually play lotto, but they do and nearly every week someone wins a jackpot! thats a fact.
(please don't gamble if you cannot choose the frequently occurring numbers, would anyone bet a lot on a horse that has never won a Derby? )

Last edited:
For those who are not convinced that pure mathematical statistics do not apply to lottery machines, here is a simple reason why, balls are loaded into the machine in a certain manner and not sequentially, they drop down the tubes into the chamber with unequal chance, so if you consider mathematically all numbers should stand equal chance, why then has any lottery machine not ever come up with 6 sequential numbers such as 1,2,3,4,5,6 and jackpot 7 ?????? but this is not to say it cannot happen, may be once in a million draws!

or for that matter any 6 balls sequentially, not once in the history of lotto has there been any 6 sequential numbers been drawn. This proves mathematical odds do not apply and one can work out best method and reduce odds to a much lower level, hence why I choose my numbers from previous 20 or 25 weeks trend, hence my odds of winning becomes much higher.

Would I ever choose 6 sequential numbers? not in a million years!

coming next when I get some time, i will take pictures of photocopies of some of my winning tickets, where you will see how many lines I have won on each ticket, (during 1996-1998 period, but i didn't always photo copy my tickets) some 3 match wins some 4 match wins, but unfortunately I never won any 5 number match but that was because I was treading cautiously, sadly as I said before I could carry on more into it, I had to abandon this winning hobby in preference to my work commitment as ever I am dedicated to my work more, which is a guaranteed way to get rich.,and obviously work enabled me to earn money and use that money to bet on lottery.

(For balls to stand equal chance, the drum needs to rotate at least for an hour between one ball being drawn out and the next, National Lottery does not have that sort of time to draw 7 numbers in 7 hours)

I don't do lotto any more as it is least appealing now, and has become a joke!

Last edited:
If all you wrote was really true, then surely you should be now be a lotto millionare?

If all you wrote was really true, then surely you should be now be a lotto millionare?
You really missed it, where I said my work took over, I was suddenly minting more money than i could have ever dreamed of making it through the lotto system, first of all I never aimed for a jackpot or 5+ or even 5 match wins, my aim was to profit out of smaller wins of 3 number matches and 4 number matches, as I said who knows I could have been a millionaire.

Millionaire? are you serious, have you not taken into consideration the inflation, you should be aiming for being a billionaire! These days if you own a house in London, already you are a millionaire! (incidentally I was passing an estate agents and saw a poster of a 5 bedroom house offered for rent, at £4,500.00 per month! I felt absolutely sick! ) and this in East london, not in Knightsbridge or Kensington!

But your question if all was true! for me, I should be a millionaire, yes it was all true, I was still approaching my own plans with great caution, I was not playing madly, i was still testing my theory , treading carefully, I did not want to be a loser, when i suddenly got extremely busy, my customer started to throw 10 times more work and I lost interest in lottery as I started to make more money from my work, I engaged a couple of sub-contractors to help me cope with my work load. in the end I did not need to gamble on lottery to make me richer, my job contract was well paying!

The secret is in the past number trend, there is your actual odds rather than mathematical odds.
I have been on national lotto website since last night and I can now see the lotto has become real off putting, like for instance, you pay £2.00 a go, and the pool of numbers is now 59, so getting a match of 3 is even harder now, and if you do get 2 match, you only get a free draw where you cannot even choose your own numbers, i am sure many other people were at cracking the odds using various strategies, and national lottery realised some people may have been winning more often than they should and so raised their stake.

( when i did my lotto, on average I was putting no more than £50.00 a week occasionally stretching it to £100 when it was a double roll over. If that work contract hadn't come about, I was willing to have a real go and go for something like £500 a week)

Last edited:
Amazing how a solenoid valve took us to loto!

and the odds of a fish tank contaminating fresh drinking water is 1 in a 10,000,000 and that means all the fish would have died and the tank buried deep in land fill before that happens.

Last edited:
If eg the odds a any numbers coming out are 20 million to 1 then you could expect 1234567 to come out once in 20 million draws. Equally they could come out 10 times in the same number of draws or once only every 40 million draws.
So saying those numbers haven't ever come out proves nothing.

Wasn't the lottery lucky that you discovered a better way to become rich;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back