Solid Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to put new skirting boards in our back room,but we have solid floors and the central heating pipes go round in front of the skirting boards.We want to stain the skirting rather than paint them, any ideas on how to hide the pipes or a way of finishing them so they don't stand out too much??

Sponsored Links
There's no easy way to hide the pipes, you'd either need to reroute and bury them in the floor, which is not a trivial job. or reroute and bury them in the wall behind the skirting board, again, not a trivial job.

To minimise the visual impact, you could see if it was possible / practical to stain the pipes the same colur as the skirting, or if they are copper pipes in good nick, you could make a feature of them, and polish them, this is a high maintenence activity though, as if left untreated, they won't stay shiny for long. Hope that's of some help.

Just done one last week, I use 25mm x 25mm batten screw into the wall in line of the top of the skirting board, nail the skirting board to the batten then put another architrave, a small skirting board or moulding on top of the batten to give a fancy appearance.

Sponsored Links
I did the same as Masona and boxed the pipes in using skirting and architrave and made a feature of them. They looked really good and it was a lot less hassle than re-routing them. Best of Luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back