Solid fuel boiler making kettling sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My dad has a stove which heats up our hot water and radiators.

The boiler (which is in my room) is currently making a kettling noise every 4 minutes.

Last week the hot water tap from the overflow tank was leaking and a plumber said my dad had fitted the wrong cylinder when he put the fire in (i called the plumber out cos the hot water was a bit of a murky colour, not cos of the leaking tap).

Is it the cylinder which is the problem? My dad lives alone and is in hospital at the moment (he cant talk at the mo) otherwise he would sort it all for me (I dont live with him but stay with him when im visiting him in hospital)

What I’m really worried about whether this is dangerous and how urgent it is, would this warrant an emergency call out at a weekend do you think? Or do you think it can wait until Monday?

All help gratefully appreciated from a damsel in distress!!! Have tried to explain best i can but let me know if there is any other things i should check or note!

Thank you in advance <3

Sponsored Links
Which boiler/stove is fitted?
Do you mean that the hot water cylinder is in your room ?
Which hot water tap was leaking?
What did the plumber actually say ?

It's not likely to be dangerous but if you are worried Do not use the boiler.... ie (The one containing the fire) !!!

Sponsored Links
Make sure the switch for the immersion heater isn't switched on.
The thermostat on the heater might not have an over heat cut off switch which would Explain the kettling noise.
If the problem is at the stove make sure any air control thermostats aren't jammed open. Bits of coal cinders and charred wood can cause this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back