Solid fuel chimney advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im planning on putting a solid fuel fire into my bungalow and have someone coming out to check that my existing flue is suitable for a solid fuel fire

Can anyone give me any advice on this please? I know nothing about it and I dont want ripped off.

At the minute I have a living flame gas fire and I live in a bungalow. The chimney stack has been removed from the roof (not sure when) and I have silver flue there now

The house is an older house (1930's) so I fully expect that I will need it lined, but I want to know what the requirements are for the stack/flue

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the flue lined? If so what with, what size and what condition is it in?

To comply with current regulations the fireplace opening dimensions are limited by the dimensions of the flue.

Regulations may or may not apply depending on if you alter what you've got or if you install some kind of appliance.

You may also need to install a permanent air supply, (dimensions depend on fireplace opening size) and if you need new firebacks or appliances etc. then the installer should fix a permanent notice somewhere in the building which gives details of the flue and fireplace and what appliances may be used in it. This is usually an aluminium plate which is often found next to the consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back