"solid" gravel path.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to put down a gravel path over an existing concrete path that has seen better days. What I ideally want is for the path to be gravel but for it to be more solid so that the gravel itself doesn't go everywhere when walked on. Is it possible to make a mixture up in a mixer using sand and cement to achieve this. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
I think if you set the gravel it will make it strange to walk on as there will be no give like gravel and it will be very uncomfortable to walk on.
I would set some edging stones down the sides of the paths to help contain the gravel.

Is it possible to make a mixture up in a mixer using sand and cement to achieve this
That's called concrete!

I suppose you could put down a screed and sprinkle gravel on top and then gently tamp it down but I think you'd find problems with chips coming loose over time.

I've never seen it done before. However, if you're keen why not make up a small area e.g. sq ft, and see what it comes out like?

IanDB said:
I suppose you could put down a screed and sprinkle gravel on top and then gently tamp it down but I think you'd find problems with chips coming loose over time.
Did something very similar with my front doorstep.
Laid a bed of 'fine' concrete (i.e. sand/cement/pea shingle) then tamped green slate chippings into the surface.

Still looks good 6 months later, but some of them have worked loose with time.

Sponsored Links
Generally if you use a pea gravel or similar rounded material, it will not become compact and it will have a tendancy to get everywhere.
If you use a chipping type that is irregular in shape, it will have more chance of staying more compact. An edging is essential. :rolleyes:

There is a technique which sets gravel into a clear resin. I tracked a company down in the past using the internet but do not have details any more. Try google search using key words like gravel & resin etc. Alternatively go to kellysearch.co.uk and type in similar key words and a list of suppliers should appear.

Hope that helps.

Matt

dont bother with all taht, why not just put in a boder of say "bricks" this keeps the gavel loose, but stops it from going everywhere

use 'big' gravel (about 1 inch in diameter) rather than pea gravel. It moves around less.

Also lay it no more than 2 inch deep, for the same reason.

We did our back yard in nominal 1 inch gravel about 15 years ago. The firm delivered about twice as mcuh as we ordered so it is a bit thick in places, but even on the slope (about 6 inches over 9 feet) it has stayed put. Also, after just a few weeks, it is comfortable to walk on.

Linda

Self binding gravel is what you are looking for. I saw it in Richmond Park in South West London, but it is used in lots of park & grand house type locations.

Thought it looked good so I've tried it at home. Laid a curved path about 15m long, by digging out a trench 15cm deep, put gravel boards along the side, put a membrane down to stop the weeds, put down a 10cm layer of hardcore/scalpings, and compressed it with a wacker plate.

I then put down Breedon Self Binding Gravel, and compressed it with a heavy garden roller while 'watering' the roller.

This web site provdes some good background: http://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel05.htm

I did it myself, but I did talk to an ex-landscape gardener who said it was hard to compact it properly so that it becomes a hard surface, hence the garden roller and the water which helped harden it. The supplier provided some written instructions for laying it (not surprisingly as it was between £80 and £120 a cubic metre depending on the volume).

It then took a few weeks of dry and wet weather for it to full harden, so I would keep heavy traffic to a minimum for a few weeks. I ended up with some wheely bin marks on it following heavy rain a few days after it was laid, which I compacted straight away, but a few weeks later it was as hard as nails, but had a very fine dusty gravel effect over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back