solid oak queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Will be laying 120mm 18mm solid oak soon (around 40sqm) in the lounge and hallway. I know some would not buy these cheaper types, but budget only allows for this. 300 - 1200 RL.

1. Currently I have floorboards and 2 patches of concrete (one where the old chimney stack was and one where the old heard was). The floorboards currently run from the front of the house to the back which is the same direction I want the solid oak to run - will this be a problem???

2. I have purchased fibre boards for underlay as I thought it would take out some of the slight imperfections- is this the best ??

3. Also can I use a tacwise 500el to secret nail them - will it be good enough ??

4. I wont be able to nail on the concrete part, so how should I tackle this?

5. Between the rooms we have 3 radiators, how do you get around the pipework?

6. How long should I let it accumalitise?

Sorry for the list of questions, but I want to fit it right

Thanks

Sponsored Links
These questions are almost identical to the ones I have (other than that my entire underfloor is concrete).

I too am looking to use fibre board for imperfections and would like to know the best way of fixing the floorboards in place as you can't nail concrete.

2 additional questions:

- Would I need additional dpm under the fibreboard - if so what is best?

- Do I need to allow for expansion/contraction of the wood around the walls. I'm laying new skirting over the top anyway so if I need to leave a gap between the floorboard and the wall underneath the skirting - how much do I leave?

Sorry for semi-Hijacking the thread, just wanting to keep the answers in one place. :rolleyes:

I have laid solid oak boards in the lounge of our cottage and the hallway of the extension. For the pipes I took off the valves and drilled the boards.
I used 2x2 battens screwed to the screed as the levels didn't matter.
As the boards were quite wide (200-230mm) I face nailed them. I was told that oak boards can easily cup if not well nailed. I have noticed that a few have cupped slightly, but being an old cottage it does not really matter.
After staining them, I left them in the house for about 4 weeks. This length of time was partly due to the fact that I only finish a job when I can't take any more of my wife's nagging. However they have been down for 6 years and I've had no shrinkage problems. As I used 25mm quadrant for skirting I left a 10mm gap from the wall, but that is probably more than is required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back