Solid State Relays Not Working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All

I have 3 solid state relays that I used a couple of years ago for a lighting project to switch 240V lights on using 24V control.

They have been in the shed since then, but I have just set them up with some some 12V lights, using the same 24V transformer & two of them don't work at all, and one just makes the bulb flicker dimly. I've tried 2 other control transformers and they have the same result. I have the polarity the correct way & they are DC.

Could it be the cold winter that's broke them? It's just strange they all wont work!

Or is it that you can only control 240V stuff?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you measured the actual voltage coming from the transformer?
I assume its 230volt primary and 24 v secondery.

The load terminals will have a minimum voltage which is required to operate correctly, for a 240VAC type, this will probably be around 50VAC.
Trying to control voltages below that, or DC won't work.

Some solid state relays only switch AC on the load side and some are TRIAC or SCR based. 12 volts is only just over 5% of mains voltage so you could be operating on the lower ragged edge.

Dry contact relays have a finite life but are quite universal provided they are not overloaded for a given application.

Can you send the model and type of your solid state relay?

Sponsored Links
The load terminals will have a minimum voltage which is required to operate correctly, for a 240VAC type, this will probably be around 50VAC.

Oh dear :(

Do you know an alternative component that will do the same thing but switch a voltage of around 10V? I don't really want to use a normal relay if I can help it because there going to be turned on and off quite quickly...

Some solid state relays only switch AC on the load side and some are TRIAC or SCR based. 12 volts is only just over 5% of mains voltage so you could be operating on the lower ragged edge.

Dry contact relays have a finite life but are quite universal provided they are not overloaded for a given application.

It just says Crydon Solid State Relay,

Output - 480V 25A

Input 2-32V DC

Thanks

Do you know an alternative product that will do the same thing but switch a voltage of around 10V? I don't really want to use a normal relay if I can help it because there going to be turned on and off quite quickly...

How quickly? What frequency?

Do you know an alternative product that will do the same thing but switch a voltage of around 10V? I don't really want to use a normal relay if I can help it because there going to be turned on and off quite quickly...

How quickly? What frequency?

Depends, its for spot light sequencing for a show. So like 3 lights sequencing 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 depending on the music really.

It's not a permanent thing, just for the one time.

Thanks

It just says Crydon Solid State Relay,

Output - 480V 25A

Input 2-32V DC

Thanks

These will not reliably switch 12V DC unless the load is very low impedance. No good for switching 12V lamps.

My preference is the OPTO22 range The ODC5 will switch 12 volts up to 3 amps. ( or more but that is over its spec ) 5 volt control signal but with resistor in series can be higher,. ( G4ODC24 is 24 volt control )

http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_details.aspx?cid=4&item=ODC5

http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_details.aspx?cid=4&item=ODC24

They have their own pin arrangement but OPTO22 also make 4 module PCB with all the necessary terminals. RS Components 2508644068 Manufacturer Opto 22 Mtfr. Part No. G4ODC5

Other compatible makes are available but I find OPTO22 the best.

My preference is the OPTO22 range The ODC5 will switch 12 volts up to 3 amps. ( or more but that is over its spec ) 5 volt control signal but with resistor in series can be higher,. ( G4ODC24 is 24 volt control )

I must admit they are the "Rolls Royce" of solid state relays. I use them for industrial machine control. Rarely let you down and lots of interconnect methods available for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back