Solid wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking into having solid wall insulation fitted externally to my property. The property details are as follows

Mid terraced
1930’s
Link terrace/wind tunnel at ground floor level between me and my neighbour

Insulating the front and rear elevation is not a problem (with planning). There is very little guidance in confirming my position when it comes to insulating the wind tunnel. As this area is shared and effectively I will be using 100mm of the shared area and I allowed to do this with or without the neighbours (tenanted house) consent.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Presumably by 'wind tunnel' you have what we call a ginnel between the properties? The ceiling of the ginnel will effectively be under a bedroom floor?

If that's the case then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the wall on your side of the ginnel. If the ceiling is your bedroom floor then I'd do that too because these ceilings are incredibly poorly insulated. I say all this with the caveat that you should use a common sense approach... Is there enough room to get wheelie bins, lawn mowers etc down the ginnel if you reduce the width by 100mm. If not then I would deal with this particular wall by installing internal insulation. In general terms please take my advice and install Graphite enhanced polystyrene insulation, I have managed millions of pounds worth of EWI and would choose this form of insulation every time... Plus it's a fair bit cheaper that PIR or PUR insulation. I wrote an article here that should help you understand your choices a little better... http://surveyingproperty.blogspot.c...l-housing-stock-strategic_3.html#.U96WI5K9KSM

One more caveat I would mention is that EWI can have poor resistance to impact damage, if you install in a high traffic area without taking this issue into account then you may have ongoing and costly repair issues. If you adopt this approach then I'd also install brick slips in this area to protect against impact damage.

Out of interest, and to further our education.
What is the thickness of your insulation.
The Conductivity value W/mK.
The resistance value m2K/W.

Thank you.
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back