Solid wood floor over floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just ordered some solid wood flooring with T&G to fit over old but level floorboards, I have been advised to use fider board underneath to help with noise and warmth, what is the best way to secure the floor or is it best jut to lay it with nothing but the weight of the floor to hold it down? the size is 10' x 30' (3m x 10m)
Thanks Ed

Sponsored Links
Do you mean fibre-board ? A few mm of this is going to do practically nothing for thermal insulation although it may block some cracks.

Is this house/flat/ what ? Which floor of building ?

Yep Fibre-board, typo my end, house and ground floor. Im not that concerned about the thermal inhalation more with the noise benefit and how to secure the floor if at all.

Lets start with the floor you bought. Width of boards, length of boards? If random lengths, between what and what and how many short ones?

See this article about solid wooden floors and what to note, specially when there are (too) many short lengths

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the heads up, 125mm wide, the floor is being delivered on Tuesday so will make sure that no more that 15% is short lengths, it was not the cheapest of the cheap, had a sample and was very imprest with the quality, also the company has over 1000 reviews on-line 98% positive, so fingers crossed, but if its not up too that standard I expect it is going straight back!!!
Whats your thoughts on fixing or leaving the weight of the floor to keep it firm?

If it is possible to install the floor floating, I would opt for Timbermate Duratex underlayment (fibre boards give too much chance on bounce due to thickness).
What ever underlayment you select, DO NOT use a DPM

Fantastic, thanks for all your help, can you recommend anywhere to get this underlay, also will I need fix the underlay down? if so adhesive or staples?

You can find it here, and it does not need any fixing to the existing floorboards or new wooden floor.

But as said before, it all depends on the quality of your new floor if it can be installed floating at all!

just to check, you mentioned sound and heat insulaton, and you say it is the ground floor of a house?

is there something noisy in the cellar?

Perhaps he's only concerned about footfall noise - or to scare the mice ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back