Solid wood front door - supplier recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My wife and I are keen on getting a solid wood front door with a small pane of glass in the middle. We've looked at firms like Kloeber but they are coming in a lot higher than what we had in mind originally and wondering if anyone has any alternatives that we could look at? We've looked at Solidor and Rockdoor but not a fan of their articifical wood grain textures.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Not sure about them being fully 'solid wood' but have a look at Howdens.

By being wood composite doors does mean they are more stable than my antique solid wood doors that change shape with the weather.

www.howdens.com

Note that these are heavy doors so use 3 heavy rated hinges (I use the fire door hinges from screw fix - that annoyingly come in pairs).
SFK

Last edited:
Be sure to understand what "solid wood" means. Don't think that solid wood means quality or suitability for any particular exposure.

Solid hemlock is not the same as solid oak. Dowelled joints not the same as mortice and tenon. Solid wood with several panels not too good facing direct sun and direct rain

And of course there's solid wood with a face veneer.

And of course there's solid wood with a face veneer.

This. So many doors are veneer over a wood core. Expect to pay a premium for a real solid wood door - prob at least £1K, and many may be higher. You could investigate local joiners shops (our local merchant, CW Berry in Leyland, have their own joinery shop for made-to-measure doors, windows stairs etc.).

Personally, I would pay the premium or go composite. Veneered doors in my experience just don't last.

Sponsored Links
We had ours made by a local joinery firm. Traditional solid oak door.

They are heavy, they swell, they are expensive but they look great. Just be sure you know what you are getting into as modern doors will perform far better in most instances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back