Solid Woord Floor Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Hoping someone can give me some pointers

T&G Solid woood floor being installed on ground floor. Ground floor is currently floorboards on joists - quite flat.
No signs of damp. Approx 3 foot crawl space. Planning to install the new floor in same direction of current boards ie at 90 degrees to joists. This is because I have a small hallway off this room which I plan to put wooden floor down and the direction of travel is the same as per the floorboards. Plan for floating floor on top of 5mm fibreboard underlay.

1. Do I need a DPM?
2. Do I need to install some plywood over floorboards first (because of floor direction).
3. Do I need to fix boards together? glue, fixing clips? Could I get away without glueing so I can replace/repair easy in future?
4. Should the 1st line be installed tongue facing wall? - Read this somewhere?

Many thanks,

:D

Sponsored Links
1) NO!
2) Yes, definitely. The thickness of the plywood depends on the unevenness of the existing floorboards
3) normal PVAC wood glue
4) no, groove towards wall (don't forget to place spacers first). Just think how you are going to glue the next row = in the groove of the board you are holding in your hands so the tongue of the board already down should face the room

More info here: Type of underfloor is type of underlayment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back