Solving rising damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I have a very localised area of possible rising damp next to my front door. On the inside wall, the plaster is crumbling off a little. Does anyone have any DIY recommendations for how to fix this. It's an old (150 yrs) house and so may not have a traditional damp course (i can't see one). Are there any products worth using?

Thanks for any help
Steve

Sponsored Links
more accurately, you have very localised area of damp next to your front door.

Is it a solid floor?

Is it between the place where the outside stopcock used to be, and where the kitchen sink used to be?

How is rainwater kept away from the door and frame?

Where is the nearest radiator or other pipework?

Post some photos.

It's an old (150 yrs) house and so may not have a traditional damp course (i can't see one)
If it doesn't have any DPC, it won't suddenly need one after 150 years without.

Are there any products worth using?
If you are looking for some inject into the wall stuff or miracle paint / render etc. - then no.
They are all a massive waste of money and will do nothing.

Dealing with damp is very simple.
1. Identify where the moisture is coming from.
2. Remove the source of moisture.

Thanks for the responses. John D, it is a solid floor (concrete or something similar). As far as I know, the kitchen was never near there and nor was there or is there an outside stop cock there. Rainwater is kept away from the door frame by guttering, which is quite new and does not leak so far as I can tell. There is no plumbing in the entrance hall where the door is located. I should have been more accurate with the description. It is not immediately next to the door but about a yard to the right. The plaster is crumbling just above the skirting board and the problem reduces the higher you look such that there is no evidence of crumbling plaster once one gets to more than 18 inches from the floor. I'm at work at the moment so can't post photos now but hopefully that clarifies things somewhat.

Sponsored Links
As far as I know, the kitchen was never near there and nor was there or is there an outside stop cock there.

no, but the water supply pipe often runs under the hall floor on its way to the original position of the kitchen. After 60 to 100 years, old pipes often leak, so it would not be unusual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back