Solving the furniture problem when replacing your carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May I ask for your advice?

I want to have a new carpet in my living room. Obviously we have the furniture in the room: bookshelves, television, sofa, etc.

I asked a local carpet store, who told me I have to remove all the furniture myself before they can replace the carpet.

What is your experience? Where will you store all your furniture before the job can begin?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Not worth considering storage for just a day so, as said, move all the items into another room and then back again.

Alternatively, if your living room has doors to the outside, choose a day for the carpet fitting when it is going to be dry (albeit a rare event in Aberdeen at this time of year) and temporarily move the furniture outside on a dry area until the fitters have finished.

Most carpets will be fitted in a few hours (dependant on what your floors are made of) so the furniture won't be out there for long.

Forget asking fitters to lay carpet with furniture in the room - they won't (and usually cannot) do it.

I understand it better now. Thank you so much for you kind advice.

The bookshelves are heavy and almost impossible to move to the garden. Perhaps I will need to throw them away and buy new ones later.

The sofa, TV, coffee table, etc are fine.

My sincere thanks,

Sponsored Links
The bookshelves are heavy and almost impossible to move

Well they must have got there somehow (unless they were assembled in situ) so you just need stronger or more helpers to move them.

You'd have to move them anyway to throw them away.

Thanks. These two bookshelves were assembled from IKEA. One is rather old, and I think it will fall apart when we move it, whether to the garden or the bin. The other one is better, so it may stay.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back