Laying Carpet on Laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone can offer me some advice.

We have just moved house and have paid for a new carpet to be fitted to most of the rooms. The fitters have done a reasonably good job with one exception - they refused to lift the laminate and fit carpet in the en-suite.

In respect of the en-suite, it appears that the previous owners laid a laminate floor and then proceeded to put all of the bathroom suite on top. The fitters explained that they would not remove laminate anywhere where they could damage other furniture or where plumbing is involved.

I can understand their unwillingness, but I have a question.

Is it a bad idea to fit carpet directly onto laminate in a bathroom? The fitter's advice was that the carpet would start to "bounce" due to moisture and heat underneath, but to be fair removing the laminate would be a pig of a job and it would be nice if we can just lay the carpet with minimal risk / loss of quality!

Does anyone here have any views? I would be most grateful!!

Mark

Sponsored Links
I would have to agree with the company. They do not want to have to spend extra money if something is damaged. They also want to make sure the quality of their work is good. One thing that you could do is remove the flooring in the open area's and under the toilet which would not bee to difficult. As for a cabinet or such, you could just cut the flooring flush with the bases and lay the carpet up to it since the carlet wouldn't be under a base anyway.

What is the state of the laminated flooring?
If it is still in good order, why not leave it as it is (also much easier to clean and healthier, specially in bathrooms).

i agree with wood-you-like, never have carpet in a bathroom, it absorbs water when you get out the bath, ...........and if some one misses the toilet

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your comments, especially the last one!!

Personally I want to keep the laminate - this is the manager's decision though (if you know what I mean)!!

As a bit of a botch you could screw some ply over the laminate(and all the way into the subfloor) and the carpet would then have a suitable backing. You will gain some height though and would need to be fairly skilled with jigsaw to get the cuts around the toilet etc

V :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back