Some advice from the experts, please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my current house in April 2006, the property was built in 1999. As I'm now finally getting round to doing the re-decorating and other "little jobs", I've been looking at the electics...

I've found a few things that I'm hoping people on here can clarify for me.

1. On the side of the house is a masterseal outdoor socket, for which I want to fit a FCU inside the house to allow me to isolate, but I've found that this socket is wired as an extension of the ring final. It must have been done just before I moved in as it's wired with cable to the new colour code - which made finding the sockets that it connects to a lot easier! I've checked continuity and it is linked between a socket in the lounge and one in the hall, with the cables run through the void under the stairs.
My intention would be to fit a FCU into the ring next to the hall socket and then a feed from there into the masterseal socket. Question is, can I do this without needing LABC notification? I'm guessing the answer is no I can't as it's modifying a connection to an outdoor circuit.

2. The control panel for the burglar alarm is in the upstairs airing cupboard and is fed via a 3A fuse plate from a 1mm T+E that is connected to the smoke alarm on the landing (there is another smoke alarm in the hall and all this is on a 6A MCB in the CU) is this acceptable practice?

3. In the loft are two batten holders with CFLs, pull-cord switch and the (new colour code) T+E has been connected to the lighting circuit at the point where the isolator switch for the bathroom fan is, above the bathroom door. A lot of wires but it's all secure. Another acceptable practice?

I'm thinking of having a PIR done soon - although I've been round checking everything visually, I don't have easy access to the gear for testing IR, earth loop, etc. and want this for peace of mind. The most worrying fault I've found was inside the CU, where one leg of the earth for the ring final (and only one ring as it's a small property) was not connected to the earth bar! There was a space for it and the screw for that terminal was backed out so I can only imagine someone forgot to put it in. Nice...
Is it recommended having the PIR for a 10 year old install? My other-half says I'm being fussy, but then she's never forgiven me for condemming her hair straighteners when they started to buzz. :confused:

Apologies for the long post, but any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My intention would be to fit a FCU into the ring next to the hall socket and then a feed from there into the masterseal socket. Question is, can I do this without needing LABC notification? I'm guessing the answer is no I can't as it's modifying a connection to an outdoor circuit.
I'd say it was OK.

The FCU that you are adding is not in a kitchen or special location, and therefore exempt via 2B(2), and the outside socket is already there so you are not adding it.

2. The control panel for the burglar alarm is in the upstairs airing cupboard and is fed via a 3A fuse plate from a 1mm T+E that is connected to the smoke alarm on the landing (there is another smoke alarm in the hall and all this is on a 6A MCB in the CU) is this acceptable practice?
AIUI the fire/smoke alarm circuit should be dedicated, but I'm not an expert on how mandatory or essential this is.

3. In the loft are two batten holders with CFLs, pull-cord switch and the (new colour code) T+E has been connected to the lighting circuit at the point where the isolator switch for the bathroom fan is, above the bathroom door. A lot of wires but it's all secure. Another acceptable practice?
As long as the terminal capacities are not exceeded, and the JB is not stuffed full, and the lid will go on without crushing cables etc then it's fine.

Is it recommended having the PIR for a 10 year old install? My other-half says I'm being fussy, but then she's never forgiven me for condemming her hair straighteners when they started to buzz. :confused:
Yup - the recommendation is every 10 years or on change of ownership. And you've already found one example of dangerous workmanship. Is there a mixed colours warning sticker? If not another indication of possibly inexpert work having been done. Is there an EIC for the installation? If not, how do you know it was ever tested? If there is, does it cover everything, or are there later additions, e.g. the loft lights and outside socket? Are there certificates for those? If not, how do you know they were done properly or tested?

Is there an EIC for the installation?

The only documentation I have is the certificate for the original installation and the "survey" that was done when we bought the place. I remember the previous owner saying that the bloke turned up, had a quick look around and then went! :rolleyes:

No, there isn't a warning sticker about mixed colours which makes me 99% certain these were DIY additions. They all look fine but then looking and tested as being fine are very different.

As it's getting to 10 years, I'll enquire on having a PIR. As there are additions, how would these get documented? I'm now wondering if I should do the FCU myself or get it done at the same time as the inspection.

Sponsored Links
No, there isn't a warning sticker about mixed colours which makes me 99% certain these were DIY additions.....
I'm now wondering if I should do the FCU myself or get it done at the same time as the inspection.

Add the FCU, Then, have a PIR done.

A satisfactory PIR will cover all DIY additions to the original installation including any additions/alterations you have made too! ;)

V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back