Some advice needed please....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am a very competent DIYer and I've tackled all sorts of jobs.
But I'm struggling a bit with my bathroom now though.

I recently bought some lovely polished black porcelain tiles from B&Q for my bathroom walls. They are 600x600mm.
I used the Cerafix ready mix adhesive and primed the walls well with PVA (taking the paint off where I could)
It took an absolute age for the adhesive to set which surprised me. I thought it was rapid setting and I only used about 8 dollops on each tile.
Anyway, the main problem I now find is that where I have got adhesive on the tile surface, I cannot clean it off no matter what I use. It seems to have stained the tile.

Is there a special cleaner for these kind of tiles?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Lithofin cement residue remover may help you here.

Although don't press too hard on the tiles when you clean them. ;)

Hi, I am a very competent DIYer and I've tackled all sorts of jobs.
But I'm struggling a bit with my bathroom now though.

I recently bought some lovely polished black porcelain tiles from B&Q for my bathroom walls. They are 600x600mm.
I used the Cerafix ready mix adhesive and primed the walls well with PVA (taking the paint off where I could)
It took an absolute age for the adhesive to set which surprised me. I thought it was rapid setting and I only used about 8 dollops on each tile.
Anyway, the main problem I now find is that where I have got adhesive on the tile surface, I cannot clean it off no matter what I use. It seems to have stained the tile.

Is there a special cleaner for these kind of tiles?

Many thanks!

8 DOLLOPS !!!
Stick to your day job !
Spot fixing is a big no no! Especially for 600 x 600's on walls.

Sponsored Links

8 DOLLOPS !!!
Stick to your day job !
Spot fixing is a big no no! Especially for 600 x 600's on walls.

whats the point of this post?

its a diy forum, there are many things that i dont agree with when ops ask questions, just give advice and try not to complain. if you cant do anything but have a go forget answering people its not worth it

Yes, let's be more constructive here.

Firstlyt 600mm x 600mm is a large, heavy tile, the only substrate that is likely to be able to hold a tile of that weight will be a tile back board. Is this the case here?

Never ever coat the wall with PVA, a suitable primer should be used.

Never use a ready mixed adhesive for tiles that size

Never spot the tile adhesive on the tile, you should be trying to achieve a solid bed.

Firstlyt 600mm x 600mm is a large, heavy tile, the only substrate that is likely to be able to hold a tile of that weight will be a tile back board. Is this the case here?

Never spot the tile adhesive on the tile, you should be trying to achieve a solid bed.

all valid points here, however the job is done, wether it stays up is a coin flip. the op however only needs to clean tiles now.

give the cement away a try dude, well worth it

If it is the same tiles I have used, in the pack with the tile was a leaflet saying to clean and seal the tiles before use. Did you do this?

if it is the nasty cheap porc tiles that are not proper porc then its no point cleaning up, however real porc you dont need to seal.

My post was a bit off the cuff......
Your advice is the way I should have worded it
Regards
No offence meant

Regards
No offence meant
Humble penance is good for the soul but will also go a long way with the majority on this forum ;) ; it may not do you much good in the queue at the gates of retribution though :LOL:

Regards
No offence meant
Humble penance is good for the soul but will also go a long way with the majority on this forum ;) ; it may not do you much good in the queue at the gates of retribution though :LOL:

:oops:
Forgot for a moment I was on a DIY forum,not a tilers forum.
Doesn't mean that I will be so easy on so called Pro's giving out duff advice :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back