Some advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After removing my tiles I found lath and plater walls, big chunk of plaster came off.

I have been reading on soulution, which suggests cut lath off, and fix plaster board.

One thing I dont understand is will not the plasterboard protrude out (its only part of the wall I am fixing), or does plasterboard go between studs, and you skim over that? -

I am, as you can see confused.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Sponsored Links
I am not a great believer in patching/filling out missing areas of plaster, with pieces of plasterboard,,, in an otherwise sound, lath and plaster wall/s etc,, i'd fill it with plaster,, but that's just my preference. If you do want to use p/board,, make sure the depth of original plaster is thicker than the piece of plasterboard you intend to use for patching,,, pretty obvious, but you do get some who fill in a patch with p/board, and it ends up proud of the surrounding plaster. :rolleyes:. Trim carefully around the edges of the existing plaster, just to remove any more loose bits, and also to give it a more regular shape for fitting the p/board into. I "wouldn't" cut away the old laths if they're ok, they will make a good sound backing for the p/board to be screwed onto. Use plenty of "screws",,,rustproof,, 35mm or so,, and screw the plasterboard straight onto/into the wooden lath. I would leave a small gap all around the patch between the old plaster and new p/b,, say 20 / 25 mm,, just so you can wet down and pva all around the edge of the patch,,, even wet and pva the dry edges of the plasterboard. Mix up some bonding coat plaster, and apply it all around the edge of the patch while the pva is still tacky, (by doing this, you're now filling up that 20/25mm gap). Put some fibre tape over the edges/joint of the p/b/wet bonding,,, to tie it all in together,, then cover the whole area with bonding coat, ruling it off with a small straight edge as you go. Build it up gradually between coats, scratching/letting each one steady up as you go, keeping it a mil or so below flush to allow for a couple of thin coats of multi. Keep all around the edges clean, using a wet brush,, looks tidier. Hope you understood what i've said. ;)

Roughcaster.

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

Still some confusion my side - sorry. As I am (been advised) to cut away laths, and fix plaster board to studs, I assume this will butt out from the line of the origianl wall as you say, so, how do I get round this?

Will I have to plaster the whole wall again so the protruding plaster board is hidden. Or is the better solution to replaster the area whwre the laths are showing. This area is very loose, and i hope to install a shower, so my plan was to plaster board, tank and tile, but the plan has a flaw if as you say it will be proud of original wall - what is the solution?

Thanks again, and sorry for the daft questions.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Ahh, different story. I think if you are planning to install a shower on this wall, and there are areas (lath and plaster) that are loose, then better to do as you have been advised, and fit plasterboard to the stud, then tank and tile. If there are any noticable differences of level between the new plasterboard and the existing plaster, then the opinion/advice of a "local" plasterer, who can see the job in real time, would be the best option.

You can still use the other advice if you have any loose plaster in the future. :LOL:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back