Some Advice Required Before The Adhesive Sets......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shower in a U shaped cubicle and I'm tiling along the back wall.

The back wall is 900mm wide and the tiles are 400mm wide.

I decided to have two tiles either side of the centre line and make up the 50mm each side with scrap bits of tiles I have left over.

The alternative is a single tile straddling the centre line and cut whole tiles to make up the 250mm gap each side. I wont be able to use the 150mm waste so this means three tiles per row as opposed to the two tiles per row method that I have chosen.

I've got the first row in now but I have a sneaking feeling that it somehow doesn't look right.

Is there a hard-and-fast rule with this that I should be following?

Sponsored Links
The alternative is a single tile straddling the centre line and cut whole tiles to make up the 250mm gap each side.

Best to do it as above,gives a more balanced look.

I wont be able to use the 150mm waste so this means three tiles per row as opposed to the two tiles per row method that I have chosen.

This sometimes happens but can't be helped in a situation such as this,always allow at least 10% above the measured amount to allow for cuts etc.

It needs to look right, or you will hate it.
I dont understand what you mean about the waste.
I would be putting a tile on the centre line, then cut as you say 2 x 250

Thanks both. I'm sure you're right and have started again.

What I meant about the waste is that with method 1 there is no waste as I am bits from left over cuts for the 50mm. But with method 2 I have 150mm leftover from each cut tile (2 per row) that will end up in the bin.

Sponsored Links
What is more important - having the tiling look right, or using fewer tiles and thinking about it every time you look at them.

I always approach tiling with the view that it must look right and if I use a few more tiles - then that's life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back