some floor sockets have no power, others in the room are, mains board all fuses are on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
morning all, ive attached a really basic drawing of what i'm trying to explain. we had a extension done about 10 years ago, last night i realised that some of the floor sockets have no power, i checked the main fuse board and no fuses have tripped. There are still some sockets which are working which are literally a few feet from the ones which are not, the induction hob is working in the island, the cupboards have a fridge and also microwave and ovens and all are working.

kitchen elecs.jpg

Sponsored Links
Fuses don’t trip, they rupture, but I doubt you have fuses or a fuse board anyway if only 10 years old. You will have MCBs and a CU.

Are you sure all those sockets are on one circuit? Maybe a MCB has tripped but the switch has not fully moved.

Sponsored Links
Probably a loose wire in one of the sockets closest to those that are live check those two first.

Fuses don’t trip, they rupture, but I doubt you have fuses or a fuse board anyway if only 10 years old. You will have MCBs and a CU.

Are you sure all those sockets are on one circuit? Maybe a MCB has tripped but the switch has not fully moved.
yes your right thats what we have. perhaps i will move the switches up and down to check

Probably a loose wire in one of the sockets closest to those that are live check those two first.

thanks I'll take look at those aswell. strange its basically around the floor area, the higher up sockets are all working, even if they are on the same wall length

thanks I'll take look at those aswell. strange its basically around the floor area, the higher up sockets are all working, even if they are on the same wall length
Have you flipped all the breakers off and on just to make sure they’re actually on?

Have you flipped all the breakers off and on just to make sure they’re actually on?

I havent tbh, but made the assumption that as the others were working then it couldn't have been the MCB. The only reason i noticed was we have some phillips hue lights in these sockets and they have been off for a week, i assumed that the lights just needed connecting to the app again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back