some guttering questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old cast iron guttering is at the end of its life and needs replacing.

I quite like the fact its painted (blue) and would consider a coloured product that doesn't need repainting.

From a bit of searching on the internet it appears i need to consider aluminium, as they come in maintenance free coated versions, and i gather are better quality in general then PVC.

I am aware its more expensive, but i am not sure how much more.

Are my assumptions, its a better product and is maintenance free correct? Any specific manufacturers which can be recommended as being good value for money.

Also, are the skill for the work involved any different from those needed for doing pvc guttering? (i.e, i know somebody who is good with pvc, but has never used alu guttering before)

thanks for any advice offered.

gh

Sponsored Links
Ally guttering is ok until you need to add to it or repair any part of it.

Few architects specify such a products because of the non-availability of the parts.

At least with plastic you have an easily accessible supply of spare parts.

Few architects specify such a products because of the non-availability of the parts.
Actually IMO future adaptability and non-availability of the parts does not even enter the average architects mindset, it is the cost of aluminium that puts off developers/homeowners etc and consequently architects will not specify to avoid inevitable embarrassing dropped jaws when the prices come in! :p

Freddy you should try working with some of the architects english heritage and the national trust use, they have absolutely no problems spending other peoples money :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
noseall - nosenothing, i have been an aluminium designer for the past 12 years and can get hold of what ever needed to do a job so i don't understand your comments about parts and not easy to add to.

Yes if you are using aluminium in a domestic application the only aluminium guttering system that should be used is seamless (out of the back of a van) which is the cheap end of the market. Now if your house is towards the top end you should either consider extruded systems or a bespoke design that suits the property.

The comment about jaw dropping price, yes it can be expensive it just deponds on which supplier you use.

If your installer can fit plastic then he should be able to install an aluminium system.

What you have to remember is that aluminium does not corrode and most products now come with a 25 year paint life.

What you have to remember is that aluminium does not corrode
Are you sure because I have noticed the bottom of my shower door and also some of my aluminium window beading are corrode & pitted like white powder

"An untreated aluminium surface will spontaneously react with water or moist air to form an aluminium oxide layer white greyish powder." wording taken from an aluminium suppliers web site

If your aluminium has been cleaned with an abrasive cleaner then you could have taken any protective coating off, ie the windows may have been anodised or powder coated. which then leaves it open to the above statement.

datarebal,

i never said seamless was extrusion.

Seamless is supplied in coil and extrusion for gutters is usually 6063 T6 supplied in usually 3mtr standard lengths using a 1mm for every 1mtr expansion gap, therefore meaning you need to have a 3mm expansion gap between lengths.

It sounds like you doubt what i have said which is fair enough everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i do design aluminium roofline systems ie fascia/soffit/capping/rainwater goods etc for a living and have done for over 12 years for many projects through out the country. So i do have a little bit of experience in the use of aluminium in the construction industry

noseall - nosenothing, i have been an aluminium designer for the past 12 years and can get hold of what ever needed to do a job so i don't understand your comments about parts and not easy to add to.
So, if i buy a house with leaky or damaged ally guttering, i can pop down the builders merchants and get replacements?

I dont doubt your 12 years.... While , Ally is not often part of our works I am financially involved in a company that certainly deals in fabrication of all sorts of ali and stainless items including parts for lifeboats and very top of the range luxury boats. I do know what corrodes and what does not.
Anyway, I would really like to see an ally seamless gutter.. by seamless I mean no joints what so ever. Do you know of such a system?

If you type in Mustang Gutters (that is the brand) it will bring up a shed load of seamless gutter installers who are approved installers, you just need to find one in your area. Be carefull though, they might run a huge length off but they still need to joint the corners. Seamless is only usually suitable for your standard domestic roof because of flow rates, if you are using it on a commercial building you will need extruded or fabricatted.

noseall - calm down son, it the same as plastic - if you know the system fitted you can get the part and with the joy of the internet you can usually get it the next day. Also dependent on the merchant they usuall stock alumasc or stormguard.

Great for commercial for domestic forget it, it'll never be popular amongst homeowners or developers due to the price and the fact that you can't walk into Jewsons or B&Q and buy a replacement hopper. Hey you know where to get the right spares, well Doh you work in that industry FFS, reallly useful to the masses. :rolleyes:

noseall - calm down son, it the same as plastic - if you know the system fitted you can get the part and with the joy of the internet you can usually get it the next day. Also dependent on the merchant they usuall stock alumasc or stormguard.
Just as i thought. The parts are not easily accessible like plastic. :rolleyes:
Some pensioners do not have the internet boyo.

..."if you know the system", how will i know the system, i've only just bought me house... :confused:

Forget ally, just re-new with plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back