Some quick help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New here to the forums but been reading with interest and used this forum for lots of advice and thoughts on my new bathroom..

So I will get straight to the point and seek some advice.

We've just had our whole bathroom stripped, floors and ceilings have been redone. Aquaboard has been added to the walls all over. Now, I have been keeping a close eye on the work being done.. until at least today when I had to return back from work. I had drawn on the walls where the walls should be left (due to tiling needed) and where walls should be skimmed. Anyway, our builder has decided to skim using Thistle mutli-finish on the Aquaboards and said that it's not a problem!

Now, from reading a bit online and then finding the BAL_Fixer_Guide PDF, this does not seem like much of a problem as long as the weight of the tiles per m^2 is 20kg.

However, this document does suggest waiting up to 4 weeks before tiling!! Is this necessary - would just waiting until it is all dry be okay? It's obviously not ideal that I have all walls skimmed, but I am trying to work with this now it has happened.

I don't want to let the builder back in again until the finish is at least dry (I have a feeling that he will want to get on with it and move on to another job....

What should I do? bathroom will be half tiled.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
hi
did you discuss the zones where he was to plaster with your builder??
if you try to dry out bathroom by mechanical means you risk plaster not adhering properly and cracking
is this the only bathroom you have use of in your property??
it is max 20kg per msq on skim coat

you should wait , as if you tile to fast you risk the tiles pulling the plaster
allow all damp patches to dry out before tiling
it is you that will have to live in the house
the other option is to get the builder to scrape skim coat off the aqua panel where you wish to tile

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back