How to re-tile and plaster floor-to-ceiling tiled bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a bathroom that needs a complete overhaul. It has the original 1930's tiles from floor to ceiling. The tiles have lots of drilled holes from 70 years of different fittings on the walls, but are still bonded to the wall very well.

The bathroom has three exterior walls and the tiles are directly onto the brick (and no cavity), so we are planning on dry-lining the exterior walls.

Also we are planning on moving the WC and putting in a dedicated shower.

The wife is not at all convinced by floor to ceiling tiles (it is a strange shaped room, and there is a lot of wall space for the size of room), and was thinking of partially tiling around the bath and shower enclosure and having painted walls for the rest.

The main problem we have is that this is our only bathroom in a flat that we have to continue living in, so the work has to be done either quickly, or in a way that we still have WC and bath or shower throughout the work!

In an ideal world I'd pull all the tiles off the wall, get back to brick work, then dry-line, then get a plasterer in to skim over, wait for it to dry, then install new bath, shower WC and basin, and tile and decorate. However I don't think we can do without a bathroom for this long.

I guess what I'm asking is whether anyone has any good compromise ideas (compromise not bodge!) that would enable the work to be done as quickly as possible?

Oh, and when drylining, should I be using plasterboard, aquaboard, or any other alternatives?

Many Thanks, Ed

p.s. I'm not going to ruffle feathers by asking if I can tile over or skim over the existing tiles!

Sponsored Links
The WC is no problem, standard practice is to leave the customer with a pan and a tap with a bucket for flushing.

The Bath is more challenging, is there a nearby room where a Bath can be temporarily sited? it could be piped up (H&C) using plastic pipe and the waste fitted into existing set up??

Alternatively if this isn't possible then the bath would need to be installed into the Bathroom and removed every single morning before work starts.

Just for info, you can buy dirt cheap baths from B&Q, probably £50 I imagine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back