Some radiators cold...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a weird problem that started in the summer, we have what seems to be 2 separate 'loops' of heating, the first one that works fine is heating only, the second is the one that used to work when the hot water was heating up in the summer too.

Since mid August the 3 radiators on the hot water loop havent got hot at all. I tried turning off all other radiators and this did send hot water too them but only the upstairs bathroom one got hot, the 2 downstairs linked to it barely got warm.

Could this be a pump issue? I disconnected the pipe from the furthest away radiator and tipped the water away unitl it turned hot but once all connected again it quickly went cold.

We have a pump by the boiler that has a box next to it with a switch type valve, also next to the hot water boiler we have a valve that has 2 options W and W+H, again we have tried all vairants and none seem to send any hot water to the other 3 radiators.

Also to note there is a T in a cupboard where the 2 'loops' meet, these are hot until you follow the 2 pipes up to the roof, where they then go to the bathroom and on and it gradually gets cold after the T.

It's all very confusing, especially as it worked fine until recently.

Should I have to get a plumber out what kind of cost would I be looknig at?

Many thanks

Keiran.

Sponsored Links
It does sound like an odd situation with a non standard system which could easily perplex some plumbers.

I am assuming the hot water is really heated by the boiler and not because someone has left immersion heater on?

I would charge a fixed price of £84 in my local area and expect to find the cause.

Beware of those who want to charge an hourly fee and don't give any no fix no fee.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back