Some sockets not working?

Yes any appliance could have that effect (plug it in, 2 mins later RCD pings)

Thats very helpful to know that, as I thought that if an appliance was faulty or a wall socket was faulty that it would immeditatly flip the RCD. But now I know that it doesnt have to happen immediatly it could be 2 mins or whatever later. Which is annoying as it makes it harder to figure out whats causing the RCD to trip.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone actually done any insulation resistance tests on the wiring or appliances.

Yes one of the electricians did an insulation resistance test but still couldnt find the problem.

I am now going to plug the washing machine back in but into a different socket. If it trips again I know its the washing machine. If it doesnt trip it could be a faulty wall socket that the washing machine normally goes into, but I dont want to plug the washing machine back into the same socket incase the electric trips again. I know it would be good to know.. but

I cant believe it, I just noticed the wzashing machine plug is plugged into an extension cable and the extension cable is FULL of water, including the socket for the washing machine. The Landlord or previous tenant have placed these under the kitchen sink, not sure where the water has come from but maybe its leaked from the sink or the pipes?

What should I do now? is the washing machine plug safe to use now once it drys out and stops dripping water? or should the washing machine socket be replaced.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The plug may dry out with a hairdryer but best to not use it till its dry, or cut it off and dispose carefully and fit a new plug

This could be a new problem unrelated to your previous problem as I would have thought the previous engineers would have found it

thanks, the previous electricians didnt notice this for some reason. OK mayb e

ive tried to dry it the best I can but theres still water in it if I tap the plug.

OK dried out the plug and washing machine now runs without the electric tripping"!

Hurrah. And that waterfilled cable could have been causing all your problems all along..........

Could that waterfilled cable have caused those 8 wall sockets to stop working too?

If the 8 wall sockets are on the same RCD then yes of course it could (for reasons mentioned previously)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back