Some sort of Oil stain on doors, Comes through when painted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 wooden doors upstairs + Skirting that seems to have been painted with some sort of Oil based stain - do i need to sand them down before i can paint? is there another way or something i can buy to take it off......tried to paint over with emulsion but comes through as a ****y yellow colour -tried to go ver that with gloss but same again - i know i sound like a lazy git - but i only have the weekends to do it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for taking the time to reply confidentincompetent, Yea the emulsion was a bad idea - i know that know - my latest job on the hall stairs and landing has been done correctly this time, Thanks for the Bin primer suggestion, the funny thing is when i asked a friend of a friends dad who is painting and decorating all his life he told me i need to sand the doors down, i knew there had to be something for this.

thanks again

Called a few paint suppliers but no-one supplies the Zinsser Range - however they are all recommending the Irish equivelant Igoe Aqua Lock + others in the range, i cant seem to find anything on the net - anybody hear or even used it before?

Sponsored Links
Called a few paint suppliers but no-one supplies the Zinsser Range - however they are all recommending the Irish equivelant Igoe Aqua Lock + others in the range, i cant seem to find anything on the net - anybody hear or even used it before?

Never heard of it before.. so curiously googled it.. I think the ''seal-lock'' version would suit you best as it seems the same as bin shelack based. The aqua could be the bulseye 123. Maybe all are Zinsser in a different dress ?? :confused:
http://igoe.ie/cms/content/view/43/68/
Good luck

Thanks confidentincompetent,
Will give it a go this weekend coming, thanks for your time.

Sorry for delay in reporting back, Well i purchased a tin of the Seal lock - Hell did it stink! It covered really easy, which made the job - well less of a job. This is powerfull stuff, it did the job extremely well - a few tiny patches where the yellow came through but the next day i touched them up and its all covered now.

thanks for your help on this confidentincompetent!

Not trying to be a sales man here but johnstones leyland decorating centres sell zinnser products and bin primer holds back most things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back