Some Things Are Meant To Be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a new frying pan from Amazon.

It arrived with a dent in the side, so I swapped it for a replacement.
.Unpacking the new one, which was perfect, I dropped it on the floor, putting an almost identical dent in the side......

IMG_20220409_220656_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
That'll teach you not to buy from Amazon!

Go to a shop and buy something British.

Sponsored Links
Like you do, without fail every time?

It's not always possible, but I buy British as much as I can and do my shopping in real shops as much as I can, and when in supermarkets, I go to a real cashier as much as I can. Also, I pay in cash as much as I can.

These things are not always possible, and when they are possible they may cost more and be less convenient.

We have destroyed a lot of what we had for convenience and a quick profit. Just look at your own signature Securespark.

Well, to be a little fair on the banks, vast numbers have stopped using their bricks and mortar services, so it is difficult to justify keeping branches going for the minority. Especially when most banks have an electronic paying in service.

I understand there are some customers who don't use devices. For these customers there is telephone banking and for the few who don't do that either, you can pay checks in and check balances at Post Office Counters.

I went to my Bank branch yesterday.

2x meatfeast pizza's, a pint of Guiness & a glass of rose' for the lady.

I must say the new opening hours are much more agreeable & the decor is now much, much better.

It's not always possible, but I buy British as much as I can and do my shopping in real shops as much as I can, and when in supermarkets, I go to a real cashier as much as I can. Also, I pay in cash as much as I can.

These things are not always possible, and when they are possible they may cost more and be less convenient.

We have destroyed a lot of what we had for convenience and a quick profit. Just look at your own signature Securespark.
I appreciate the sentiment, but we live in a digital age - things change.

The ability to buy online has generated a huge opportunity for individual entrepreneurs - you can work in your garden shed making stuff, sell it on Etsy and get customers from all over the world

I appreciate the sentiment, but we live in a digital age - things change.

The ability to buy online has generated a huge opportunity for individual entrepreneurs - you can work in your garden shed making stuff, sell it on Etsy and get customers from all over the world

I agree. Online buying has crushed ancient greedy monopolies; has given us more variety and choice in certain things and has brought back some good old products, customs and ways of doing things. BUT, you always have to think where your money is going, use your conscience and strike a balance. Online commerce has destroyed many decent businesses. I'm an avid book reader, and Amazon was great when it started; it was just books - you could find almost any book that had ever been published. I realised that it was destroying small bookshops though, places where I'd spent many a happy hour. So I cut down buying from Amazon. Now it has moved its business model into everything else it can get its evil hands on.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for the pleasure of going into a shop and meeting people, getting advice, handling goods in the flesh etc. Then walking around the town mixing with folk young and old, male and female, then going for a pint or two. The youth of today brought up entirely online may never know these simple pleasures.

You're partly arguing against technological progress. I appreciate not everything is considered 'progress' by everyone depending on our own views, but overall it's a tide we can never go against as a population. Yes some people can (e.g. taking an extreme example those that live off-grid) but not the average person who's simply getting on with life.

Full disclosure, I love the convenience of Amazon, and you can often find stuff you'd struggle to find in a local shop. Plus it's great, as is all online shopping, for those who either can't leave the house or live quite far from shops.

I also love the convenience of 'scan & go' or whatever it's called in the supermarket. I can pack my items as I want whilst completing my shop, then quickly pay and go unless stopped for a random 'quality check' which isn't very often. I've seen quite large queues at the traditional check-outs and the scan and go section relatively quiet. Maybe folk taking a leaf out your book. I'm walking out the store whilst the majority of them are still queuing, often looking miserable.

As for buy British, are you having a laugh? Possible for some things, impossible for many. We've given up on most of the industries we were once world renowned for. Up here in Scotland we can't even build a couple of ferries on time or budget, so the next couple are being built in Norway or somewhere like that.

There are many small to large examples of 'progress' that I dislike e.g. cars becoming ever more like mobile IT devices, electronic parking brakes etc. Ultimately can I stop it? Nope.

I've spent a large part of my days as a commercial driver.

I must say I have appreciated many of the new features, like S/S, e-handbrake, hill hold, parking cams, blind spot warning etc.....

I accept progress as a way of life. You can't stop it but I wish it would slow down a tad. Something no sooner gets 'updated/improved' and people buy the new version when Wooosh! It's upgraded again. I'm not just talking about phones either. Cars, home laundry equipment, home sound/entertainment systems, gardening equipment etc. You name something you bought 12 months or longer ago and I can virtually guarantee it's been upgraded or improved since you bought it. A lot of things now are 'Blue tooth enabled', meaning you can use your 'smart phone' to operate it/change it's settings/turn it on as you are driving home from work etc. What about us more 'mature' citizens who don't get bedazzled by all these fangly gadgets that takes a degree in computer science to operate? We are quite happy with a simple remote to turn the TV on and flick through the channels instead of one that gives you the option to select about 5 different providers who each have about 100 channels or more. Cars have so many things to 'assist' the driver that todays young drivers are at a loss when a warning light comes up on the dashboard. Add to this so much stuff is computer controlled and the days of having a tinker under the bonnet to fix it yourself are over. I hate touch screens, especially those controlled by finger prints or face recognition. They absolutely refuse to work for me even when an 'expert' has helped me set them up correctly. CP gave up on the fingerprint clocking in and asked to use a 4 digit pin number instead. How can you keep your eyes on the road with touch response controls that are small buttons closely grouped together? Try to increase the airflow and you turn the radio up full blast when you try without glancing down.

I agree with both sides, there needs to be a better balance.

Sometimes I look back at the 90's and start of the 00's I think that was probably the best mix of tech and way of life.

The past 10 years have seen an over reliance on technology and rapid change to the way we live, personally I think covid has made this even worse.

I like new tech and change, but we need to start real conversation and make sure the benefits are there for all and not just the wallets of the few, before we find ourselves in a real life i-robot and/or big tech companies with too much power and influence (Twitter, Google, Facebook etc)

Anyhoo back on topic, how's your luck, as you say some things are just meant to be

I used to get into a lot of trouble in my past when I started predicting the future.

Before you all start . . . . Think back & place yourselves in an 80's site canteen & you're telling all those older blokes that they won't be getting a pay packet every Friday !

I distinctly remember telling an independant travel agent that her business was toast & I remember her righteous indignation & blunt refusal to engage in any discussion about how her business might survive. I remember talking with the owner of a helicopter flight school about how computer simulations will replace many hours of his tuition. I remember telling a very talented young girl that there is no future in High St banking & she should look elsewhere for a career . . .

I can tell you how it will be in the next 20yrs, but just like all the others before you . . . . You won't believe me.

I do try....... I go PC world and they tell me to buy it online. Its almost as if they are just a show room for online company's...

The work shoes I like I can only get online and mainly my preferred work clothes

I do however try to strike the balance and support local businesses.

Sponsored Links
Back