Some Things Are Meant To Be

Tech can be very helpful and even lifesaving, but I wish social media was never invented.

It affects so many people who are bullied by idiots.

Sponsored Links
Tech can be very helpful and even lifesaving, but I wish social media was never invented.

You don't think that it is a very useful & efficient tool to define an individuals demographic then???

I accept progress as a way of life. You can't stop it but I wish it would slow down a tad. Something no sooner gets 'updated/improved' and people buy the new version when Wooosh! It's upgraded again. I'm not just talking about phones either. Cars, home laundry equipment, home sound/entertainment systems, gardening equipment etc. You name something you bought 12 months or longer ago and I can virtually guarantee it's been upgraded or improved since you bought it.

You don't have to have these things, do you? So what if you buy something and it's upgraded the week after; does it still do what you wanted it to do? What is wrong with making things last? The problem seems to be in "keeping up with the Jones's" and wanting every new gadget that comes out.

Sponsored Links
I can tell you how it will be in the next 20yrs, but just like all the others before you . . . . You won't believe me.

Whatever happens now or in the future, or has happened in the past, a person doesn't have to go along with it.

You don't have to have these things, do you? So what if you buy something and it's upgraded the week after; does it still do what you wanted it to do? What is wrong with making things last? The problem seems to be in "keeping up with the Jones's" and wanting every new gadget that comes out.

I'm one of those who, if I have to buy something, buy just what I need without all the bells and whistles and never buy the newest one just because it's been upgraded. I've had my present phone for years and have no intention of buying another unless it breaks beyond repair. I keep getting notices off Microsoft to upgrade to Win 11. No thanks, I'm happy with what I've got.

What is wrong with making things last?
Computers slow down or become obsolete in terms of their usefulness.
I recently upgraded all my desktop stuff and went to a small local fella who has a shop in town. Sick of the wife moaning at me that the old one would not run the latest downloads etc and was incompatible with the stuff she was sending over from work.

Was he able to upgrade or was it better to buy new?

Asking because Mrs Secure's 8 yo lappy is very very slow.

I've got a 10 year old PC at work running windows 10 (was win 7) and it is as slow as hell. Takes 10 minutes to warm up when I switch it on. Only really use it for browsing and typing letters. Not with replacing so was wondering if it's worth taking somewhere to get it sped up a bit. It's one of those all in one types - everything is built into the screen, no separate box etc. has a built in TV with remote control too. Just needs an aerial plugged in. Wireless mouse and keyboard.

Was he able to upgrade or was it better to buy new?

Asking because Mrs Secure's 8 yo lappy is very very slow.

Fit an SSD and it will be right as rain.

My laptop is 10 years old, and computers at work are 8, with SSD drive installed Windows boots in seconds and they can run pretty much every general application. It will struggle with games and 3d cad modelling software, but for everything else (internet, word processing, emails) it's fine for.

I've got a 10 year old PC at work running windows 10 (was win 7) and it is as slow as hell. Takes 10 minutes to warm up when I switch it on. Only really use it for browsing and typing letters. Not with replacing so was wondering if it's worth taking somewhere to get it sped up a bit. It's one of those all in one types - everything is built into the screen, no separate box etc. has a built in TV with remote control too. Just needs an aerial plugged in. Wireless mouse and keyboard.
Bear in mind support for Win 7 ended in 2020 so the device is no longer receiving security updates.

Fit an SSD and it will be right as rain.

My laptop is 10 years old, and computers at work are 8, with SSD drive installed Windows boots in seconds and they can run pretty much every general application. It will struggle with games and 3d cad modelling software, but for everything else (internet, word processing, emails) it's fine for.

My 10 year old Acer Aspire desktop started playing up. A techy friend who does all my pc problems pulled out the old HD and put new SSD in. Changed it from Windows 7 to 10. Upgrades are a revelation and performance is in a different league - all for a small outlay. Just like a new pc.

Sponsored Links
Back