Someone knows the drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am trying to fit a blind up in the kitchen, brackets on the wall first. I am only a DIYer and so I have an odd assortment of drill bits which includes masonery/wood/metal cutting bits. The first eighth of an inch was brilliant, then nothing; that is, what I believe to be a concrete lintel which I cannot get into. The most I managed was about a third of an inch. Apart from dynamite, are there any suggestions, I am not going to glue the thing up so I need some anchorage.

Sponsored Links
You've hit a lintel(?). Can you drop your holes to where the trim(architrave) is?

Sorry, can't do that; this is an open window area, I can only be a couple of inches above the opening now. I'm getting a dab-hand with the filler.
Any thing else?

planenut said:
Hi all, I am trying to fit a blind up in the kitchen, brackets on the wall first. I am only a DIYer and so I have an odd assortment of drill bits which includes masonery/wood/metal cutting bits. The first eighth of an inch was brilliant, then nothing; that is, what I believe to be a concrete lintel which I cannot get into. The most I managed was about a third of an inch. Apart from dynamite, are there any suggestions, I am not going to glue the thing up so I need some anchorage.

I know you shouldn't blame your tools, but you need a better drill, an SDS hammer with the correct bit should sort you out.

Sponsored Links
you have got a sharp masonary bit and a drill with hammer action havent you?

its just that you said I have an odd assortment of drill bits

Well I did say i'm a DIYer. My drill does not have a hammer action, and some of my masonery bits are old. So the upshot of that is, I should get an SDS bit, and either buy or borrow a drill with a hammer action. I shall go forward now and bore someone else.
Re-read that, so here goes again, got to get an SDS drill with a hammer action, then i'll try my bits again.
Thank you for the comments.

doesnt quite work like that.

SDS drill needs SDS bits, it will not take other bits.

similarly an "ordainairy" drill will not take SDS bits

yes i know you can "force them" but officailly you cant, so in short, sds drill for sds bits

ordainairy drill (hammer action is normal) = ordainairy bits

Thanks for that Breezer. I will be attending my local DIY "stock everything - until you want it" store on my way to work this morning. This should all save me from looking for the guy who "know's all about it - but he's on a break" type that they always have.

Sometime in concrete lintel you may a have hit a metal rod inside it or a stone which can be difficult knowing what to do !

Well I got myself a cheap hammer drill, could still only get in about half to three-quarters of an inch - lets hope nobody pulls it too hard. I think leverage has a lot to do with it, but only a couple of inches down from the ceiling makes it had to put your shoulder behind it. - thanks to all!

.........and then someone lent me the proper gear, a professional hammer drill and his brand new bits, SDS. So that's what a hammer drill is supposed to do, very effective, wow!

did you know, every year 150 Million 1/4 inch drill bits are thrown away that nobody wants, all they want is the hole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back