someone please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all ive got a problem where my central heating comes on when i put my hot water on the only way to turn it of is to switch the boiler of at the mains

i thought it was the motorized head (2 port ) so i replaced that and everything was good for about a week now its happened again my boiler is a potterton suprima 40l sorry if this is abit vague but im no expert at this

Sponsored Links
could be the programmer.
when it happens have you tried turning the wall stat to 0 ?

hi yes the wall stat dont make no difference its set at 0 and the rads are baking but ive only got my hot water on

the valve may be letting by.

on the end of the heating valve is a lever push it across is it floppy or has resistance on it ?

what make of valve is it ?

Sponsored Links
if theirs no resistance then the valve is open.

can you use a multi meter to check the electrics ?

find the cable from the heating valve in the main wiring box and check for live on the brown wire to that valve.

you say the lever has no resistance so the valve is open.
i would say its either seized open or its get power to open.

you can also isolate the mains power to the heating system
then see if the lever has resistance.

wont be able to do that untill tomorrow tools at work but
if its live then what?
if its not do i need to replace something in the boiler?

try this take 2 mins.

you can also isolate the mains power to the heating system
then see if the lever has resistance.

sounds like the valve is jammed open position the brass part.(useally crud in system )

if you do the same on the hw one that should have resistance.

hi all ive got a problem where my central heating comes on when i put my hot water on the only way to turn it of is to switch the boiler of at the mains

i thought it was the motorized head (2 port ) so i replaced that and everything was good for about a week now its happened again my boiler is a potterton suprima 40l sorry if this is abit vague but im no expert at this

Pcb fault. Notorious. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back