Something Different

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me how far up a river is it saltwater in the tidal stretches and what does it depend on...................thata a nice one instead of terrorism ;)

Sponsored Links
jasy said:
Can someone tell me how far up a river is it saltwater in the tidal stretches and what does it depend on...................thata a nice one instead of terrorism ;)

It all depends on how big the thermo-nucleur blast is that the terrorists have set off on the ocean bed to cause the tsumi which forces the sea up into your rivers :LOL:

I think it all depends how big you river entrance is Jasy--Thames --Severn and such are large funnel shaped inlets so have large tidal surges

:LOL: No seriously a lad was on about it at work. Anyone know for the River Avon??

I was always told back in water board/plumb school the River authorities would only put Drain/foul outfall on eausteries (sp) where the mouth was 3 times the rivers highiest width .... an then your talking 300 yards for a salinat........salanat ,,,,,mix ,.....up sea for discharge pipes ,

Sponsored Links
Chuck the lad in t`river...if he floats it`s salt water:cool:

It depends on your depth too. Salt water is more dense than fresh water, so you tend to get salt water ingressing further up the estuary/river at the river bed level, and more fresh water out into the estuary at the surface.

You would think diffusion would take care of this and stop it happening, but it doesn't. I suppose it is analogous to the stratification of water in a hot water cylinder: cold water tends to sit at the bottom.

And also I suppose it would depend on the river flow strength and the tide strength: if you have a powerful, fast-flowing river then you won't get much salt water getting up there. But if you have a slow-flowing river and a strong tide, then you might get salt water further in.

Could this ingress of saltwater be to blame for helping towards the erosion of river banks? The saltwater killing off the reeds and other vegetation that holds the banks together?

The clue is in the plimsoll line on the ships bow, the "F" represents the fresh water line. like a Hydrometer, used to compare the densities of liquids.
InternationalLoadLine.gif

kendor said:
Could this ingress of saltwater be to blame for helping towards the erosion of river banks? The saltwater killing off the reeds and other vegetation that holds the banks together?

The Severn has, I think the second greatest tidal range in the world. It is very 'silty', one of the reasons why the hydro-barrage-roadway scheme is seen as a no goer... It is said that to impede the flow would result in enormous silting of hitherto reasonably clear areas ... The tides act as huge flushes ... Speaking of which Hong Kong uses, to some extent, sea water for toilet flushing .. ready salted ! Beware the extra salty fish dish !

;)

Sponsored Links
Back