Is the NHS up for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Why do you think the USA drugs companies want to get rid of NICE?
Because they would like higher pricing. Just because they want it, doesn't mean they'll get it.

You lot need to stop thinking that the Tories are like labour and will want to spend more for the same or worse overall outcome.

Sponsored Links
Because they would like higher pricing. Just because they want it, doesn't mean they'll get it.

You lot need to stop thinking that the Tories are like labour and will want to spend more for the same or worse overall outcome.

Like welfare assessments which now cost more now they are done privately.

The fact the Tories have decided to shelve plans to tax big tech companies because they are desperate to get a US Trade deal.

Taking back control.

Of course the tories always get a better outcome? :rolleyes:

Britain’s underlying public finances are among the worst in the world, behind the Gambia, Uganda and Kenya

"The UK has undergone one of the most drastic privatisations of any economy since the early 1980s".

"Under the Conservative government since 2015, policy has gone a stage further, incentivising departments and local authorities to sell off assets to fund day-to-day spending under the premise that such an approach is necessary to cut the deficit".

"the tendency of governments to focus on debt “misses large swaths of government activity and can fall victim to illusory fiscal practices”.

"When public assets are taken into account, selling a public utility, for example, may do nothing to improve the public finances"

“For instance, privatisations increase revenue and lower deficits but also reduce the government’s asset holdings,”.

“Similarly, cutting back maintenance expenditure reduces the deficit and lowers debt, but also reduces the value of infrastructure assets, which could cost more in the long term.”

The funny part of your arguments is that you seem desperate to believe that Boris will do a deal with the US at any cost.

As and when a deal is done with the US, it will have to benefit both sides. Unless there is a tangible benefit to paying more for drugs, it just won't happen.

Because they would like higher pricing. Just because they want it, doesn't mean they'll get i

Unfortunately Brexit proves otherwise.
After leaving the EU, the UK will be in a weak negotiating position and any trade deal with the US will mean they will get it.
If you dont believe me, fine, all I would say is look at trade deals the US has done with other countries.......thats the reality.

Tribal thinking.

thinking that the Tories are like labour and will want to spend more for the same or worse overall outcome
Privatisation proves otherwise.
Look at train operators.....more cost, worse service.

Why are quite a few councils bringing back in house, some of their out sourced services: because they can get a better job done for less money in house.

And no, I dont think broadband should be nationalised -crazy idea. But privatisation is not the best solution in every situation.

Edited -see Ellals post

Last edited:
And no, I dont think broadband should be privatised -crazy idea. But privatisation is not the best solution in every situation.
Do you mean nationalised?

If so, yes it's a crazy idea...

Why would you think that an already skint NHS should pay more for drugs?

By the way, you can't buy generic drugs from elsewhere until the license/patent has expired. So if there are people in the UK who used to have a drug from America, that isn't being allowed to be made by anyone else yet, and they put the price up, how does that help anyone? Either more cost for us and our skint NHS, or people go without and possibly suffer because of it.

Glad you think that it's not a problem though, ace. (y)

'You lot' need to stop being daft.

Why would you think that an already skint NHS should pay more for drugs?

By the way, you can't buy generic drugs from elsewhere until the license/patent has expired. So if there are people in the UK who used to have a drug from America, that isn't being allowed to be made by anyone else yet, and they put the price up, how does that help anyone? Either more cost for us and our skint NHS, or people go without and possibly suffer because of it.

Glad you think that it's not a problem though, ace. (y)

'You lot' need to stop being daft.

I don't think that the NHS should or will pay more for drugs, unless that was offset in trade in some other way that made it overall beneficial to the country.

I fully appreciate that you can't buy patent/licenced drug from anywhere. You have to got to buy from the manufacturer/developer/licensee which is exactly what we do already. We already buy drugs from the US on that basis. However, there are often alternate drugs that can be bought as an alternative if one supplier starts trying to raise its prices. if there aren't alternative drugs and the drug can only be bought from one supplier then there is no change from the current situation where NICE already deal with manufacturers and their pricing efforts.

I don't see where all the fuss is coming from as i don't think there will be any change from the current situation. Its fake news being bounced around online echo chambers, possibly assisted by the Russians......

I don't see where all the fuss is coming from as i don't think there will be any change from the current situation.

There is a change from the current situation:

Current situation: UK part of trade bloc GDP = $19 trillion
Post brexit, UK on its own, GDP = $3 trillion

And what will need post brexit: a UK US trade deal.

Its fake news being bounced around online echo chambers
I would gently suggest the denials being bandied around are the fake news.
Brexiteers will never admit that brexit means a major loss of control, but the disparity in power between UK and US tells the story

There is a change from the current situation:

Current situation: UK part of trade bloc GDP = $19 trillion
Post brexit, UK on its own, GDP = $3 trillion

And what will need post brexit: a UK US trade deal.

I would gently suggest the denials being bandied around are the fake news.
Brexiteers will never admit that brexit means a major loss of control, but the disparity in power between UK and US tells the story
and vice versa, i would also gently suggest that Remainers with their EU fixation can't comprehend that despite being the 5th largest economy in the world, we are an attractive country to do a trade deal with.

I appreciate the gentle suggestion in an emotive topic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back