Something to remove rounded screw?

Sponsored Links
Well i had a bash at using those removal tools.

Must've been using them wrong or something - didn't even come close.

So tried drilling the head off. I've drilled a bit of a hole but it hasn't gone any further than that.

Next step is the angle grinder & grind the thing off.

Sponsored Links
Keep drilling until the head falls off using a 6mm drill bit. Those removal tools only bite with the drill in reverse.

This thread...
starting_to_fix.jpg

Hi.

I'm having the same problem. I tried using an impact driver to remove 6 screws. 3 came out, but the other 3 were solid and the head has now got to much damage.

I've tried HSS and Cobalt drill bits and they are not touching it. Are there any other bits for hardened steel?

Thanks.

I've tried those. I'm drilling at a slow speed, I've also tried using cutting lubricant, but that doesn't improve it.

I watched a video of somebody using a centre drill bit and it managed to work, but I don't know if they're made with a different material.

Centre drills are different (and good) and need high speed, Start the extremes at slow speed then when you have a centre revert to a higher speed and there is no need for any cutting lubricants.

You need to start with a small drill, slow speed and constant pressure, starting with a large drill a fast speed, depending on the screw material, can work harden the head.
litl

Forget about drilling and using screw extractors, these are for machine screws, not for wood work, nothing a chisel and a hammer can't shift, get a sharpish cisel and hammer around the perimeter of the screw, it will shift in no time, also you may be able to chisel a grove in the head and use a large flat driver to unscrew.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back