SON - High Pressure Sodium Lamps Discontinued?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else heard that come March next year SON lamps are being discontinued?

I had not heard anything until the wholesaler started to stop stocking sodium fittings, stocking only Metal Halide.

We maintain many sites with SON lowbays and floods, and wonder if this is true, and what direct replacement lamps could become available.....

Also have a job coming up to light a large car park which has been relocated due to development on the existing, and would usually go for SON fittings for this type of install. Wondering if to consider something else....

Sponsored Links
I've not heard anything, but it wouldn't suprise me if it's another barmy ruling from brussels. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I just typed the name of this thread into google and got among other things a brochure from Philips explaining the position.

As with incandescent and fluorescents, the situation is that lamps which fall below a certain efficiency are banned from various dates. This includes standard SONs, metal halide and mercury vapour.

The solution is manufacturers making new lamps with higher efficiencies. These are already available, and in most situations, the new lamps are a direct replacement for the old ones. In some cases this does mean the old yellow colour lamps can only be replaced with white(r) ones.

Magnetic control gear is next on the removal list - it will be electronic or nothing in a few years time.

Plenty of SOX lamps still around although the majority where replaced with SON-T and then the white lights started to make an appearance on the highways.
The way its going most local authoritys are being offered "incentives" by certain firms to trial LED lighting very impressive the units ive installed only problem is it reduces the need for maintenance e.g lamp wash change so less labour needed in future for the highways.

SOX lamps are one of the most efficient lamps there are although their colour rendering makes them mostly suitable for external lighting (mainly street lighting)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back