Sony LED TV KD-43X85J - drawing nearly 12W on standby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I thought I had a happy outcome to my recent problem with my Sony 43" TV, what with them supplying a new replacement albeit a different model, KD-43X85J.

I've just discovered that it's drawing nearly 12W on standby, rather than the 0.5W that it is supposed to draw. This is made worse because it doesn't actually have a real power on/off switch. When it's connected to the mains it powers up in standby, and the on/off switch on the underneath just does the same as the remote control switching between On or Standby.

Any ideas on settings that might be causing this?

Initially I didn't have it connected to my network, so no Internet services could be running, and Bluetooth off as well. Just to humour it I connected it to wireless, and let it do a software update. That hasn't changed anything. The various power saving settings all seem to be to do with going into standby automatically, not what it does while it's on standby.

Annoyingly although this TV was supplied mid August, warranty dates from the original TV supply, so expired mid September.

Thanks, Tony S

Sponsored Links
Consumer rights act gives you 6 years protection. Warranty is in addition.

How have you determined the standby power?

Currently I'm measuring with a TP-Link P110 smart plug. I confirmed this by checking with a different plug in power monitor. With the TP Link I can do a hard switch off (less the power used by the TP Link of course).

I've raised a case with Sony, let's see what they say. The consumer rights line is interesting. The original TV was purchased in Sep 2017, replaced by Sony in August 2022. So the question is really what rights I gained when the replacement was supplied. Clearly a claim about this replacement would not be alleging that the original TV was faulty when supplied in 2017, but rather that the replacement was faulty when supplied this August.

I'm hoping it's a setting somewhere. I might try a full factory reset, essentially it is just used as a plain display for outputs from DVD player and PVR, so there aren't a whole lot of non-default settings to reinstate.

Have you a found a 'Remote Start' option, in any of your settings?
That would be worth disabling.

Otherwise, some similar issues reported here:

Sponsored Links
Remote start was already disabled. I also found one of the settings referenced in that link, update program guide on standby and I've switched that off. Sadly no change, even after I left it for around 30 min to give it a chance to go into "deep standby".

In some circumstances, not always.
Yes, it's really not clear whether or how it would apply in these exact circumstances. However looking up the serial number on Sony gives warranty expiry end of October, so looks like they gave just over 60 days warranty. Or putting it another way they extended the warranty of from the original set by around 6 weeks. Either way that says it's under warranty right now, so I will see what Sony say about this power issue.

Edit it's five years in Scotland anyway, not six.

Last edited:
Initial response from Sony telling me to use the On/Off button, I've replied pointing out that this doesn't power it off but just puts it into standby. At least they look like they're offering some support.

Meanwhile some discussions elsewhere suggest it takes time to go fully to sleep, so I'll check that out. I'm sure I've left it for at least 30 minutes
before, but possibly not if I've been messing around with different power monitors.

Failing that and if still waiting for response from Sony, I'll try a factory reset.

I can't believe you seriously think that's an appropriate solution, give up on the product performing as it should and accept having to delve under the furniture to disconnect it at the mains.

How should the product perform? Is it the latest model or have they given you old stock which is performing to spec?

I can't believe you seriously think that's an appropriate solution, give up on the product performing as it should and accept having to delve under the furniture to disconnect it at the mains.
I have to be honest & say I was thinking the same thing as Winston, seems to me just getting a remote controlled plug in socket ( as I use) would remove the stress & anxiety you seem to have, over this ( in my humble opinion) rather trivial problem. Apologies in advance if that offends you

just a though

do you have anything plugged in to the tv usb ports or similar that could be a parasitic load ??

I have to be honest & say I was thinking the same thing as Winston, seems to me just getting a remote controlled plug in socket ( as I use) would remove the stress & anxiety you seem to have, over this ( in my humble opinion) rather trivial problem. Apologies in advance if that offends you
To be honest it is a bit offensive, suggesting that it's stupid to expect a device to perform as documented. However I'll let you off if in fact that's what you do with your TV, unplug it from the mains every time you stop watching, and plug it back in when you next want to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back