Sony LED TV KD-43X85J - drawing nearly 12W on standby

just a though

do you have anything plugged in to the tv usb ports or similar that could be a parasitic load ??
Any thoughts welcome. We have two HDMI connections, one from the PVR which is normally on standby and needs to be left like that so it works for its timed recordings. The other for a DVD player which could be powered right off when not in use, assuming it has a power switch. Aside from that only the aerial.

Sponsored Links
What did the factory reset do? Have you tested it with nothing else plugged into the TV? How accurate are the smart plugs?

To be honest it is a bit offensive, suggesting that it's stupid to expect a device to perform as documented. However I'll let you off if in fact that's what you do with your TV, unplug it from the mains every time you stop watching, and plug it back in when you next want to use it.
No I never said what you were trying to achieve was stupid, just that using one of these https://www.dunelm.com/product/stat...VCNPtCh1eHA8EEAQYCCABEgJ0nvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds would be an easier less stressful way of resolving your problem if you are happy with the rest of the tv's functions.

Sponsored Links
No I never said what you were trying to achieve was stupid, just that using one of these https://www.dunelm.com/product/status-remote-control-socket-1000032365?defaultSkuId=30122857&branchCode=0755&ds_c=Lighting_Lighting+Accessories-SmartShopping_[GOO-LIA-LIGHTING-ACCESSORIES]&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6e6itcu1-gIVCNPtCh1eHA8EEAQYCCABEgJ0nvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds would be an easier less stressful way of resolving your problem if you are happy with the rest of the tv's functions.
Wonder how much standby power that uses.

Wonder how much standby power that uses.
Good point, about 1Watt apparently, so unless like us it feeds a multi socket extension for tv, & several other gizmos it may not help the OP after all if he is only going to use it for a TV.

Try telling that to Ebay, they give you 30 days.
Don't think I've ever bought anything really important from ebay, can be a right PITA getting refunds/exchanges etc, let alone trying to get some recompense from an ebay shop you bought a TV or appliance from a few years before.

I've just discovered that it's drawing nearly 12W on standby, rather than the 0.5W that it is supposed to draw. This is made worse because it doesn't actually have a real power on/off switch. When it's connected to the mains it powers up in standby, and the on/off switch on the underneath just does the same as the remote control switching between On or Standby.

Any ideas on settings that might be causing this?

Many modern TV's now have two standby modes, an instant on and a much slower on. The instant on mode only switches the screen and audio off, leaving everything else still running. The slow mode just leaves the remote receiver active, so you can turn it on from your settee, but it may take several seconds to fully boot up, mine draws around 0.25 to 0.5w in the latter mode.

The above is what I think you are perhaps missing, but you haven't mentioned how you are measuring the 12w.

Last edited:
The solution at the bottom of this worked for mine:

Brian

Is it connected to Wi-Fi? If so some TVs don’t go into full standby if they can be woken by another device and therefore use more in standby mode

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back