Sorting kitchen tap piping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
8BC001BD-72FF-4B8F-ADD3-F495F848D2EF.jpeg Hi all,

I’m fitting a new sink unit. The previous one had no back and allowed the pipework to be a bit of a hash - see the pic.

I’m going to fit a new unit and hoped to be able to beaten the pipework out to pass through a single hole in the back of the unit. The only issue is the plumbing was done in Hep2o pipework and fittings, and I don’t have an unlock tool... can they be taken off without the tool?? Or.... just set in the wall is a compression joint.. would it be easier to undo that and take the pipework out and start a fresh?? I’m just a little apprehensive as taking the pipe out of the compression joint seems most logical but I would be using plastic pipe to do the new fit and haven’t done plastic into copper compression before... thanks in advance..!!

Sponsored Links
Two options.

1. Go to a plumbers suppliers and ask for the plastic release tool. If they don't give one of those for nothing, then a couple of quid or so at most should get you one.

2. Undo the compression and start again.

Thanks ever so much for your reply guys..! Does the plastic pipe with insert into the compression normally fit ok?

Sponsored Links
Making plastic into copper is exactly the same as copper compression except you need to fit an insert inside the plastic pipe sometimes called a stiffener, if you are starting afresh just break one of the old speedfit elbows and use the insert from that it will be inside the plastic pipe

Last edited:
Thanks ever so much for your reply guys..! Does the plastic pipe with insert into the compression normally fit ok?

Copper doesn't need an insert but plastic needs a solid insert, not a superseal one (an insert with O rings)

Handy tip that I got off a plumber. Nip up a compression, then take it apart so the olive is stuck (on both plastic and copper). Wind PTFE tape over the olive 2 to 3 times. Put together and tighten-ish back up. Never ever had a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back