Sould I get my 'drains' checked?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the last year, there often seem to be holes and voids apearing along the outside of the garage wall. I know that a fairly shallow running clay drainage pipe runs along the back of the garage.
The first holes were due to rats. ( now dead and gone I hope! )

Now, more voids seem to be apearing further along the pipe, ( not rat shaped holes this time!)

A few years ago we had an extension built above the garage, I wondered if the scafold or building work could have broken some of the soil pipes?

Whats the best way to check?

Should I get a camera survey done, or dig down and find them! ( part of the extension runs over the soil pipes, but I think this was correctly done with lintels etc ).

Sponsored Links
if you say the pipe is fairly shallow then i would be inclined to do a little digging and expose the pipe.

i take it there is no obvious evidence of pipe collapse, i.e. blocked drains, slow running drains, saturated ground, etc?

are there any inspection chambers local to the pipe?

Some of the pipe is fairly exposed, I can dig that bit out.

There are no inspection chambers in the run of pipe I am concerned about. Some sections of it run under patio as well, I'd rather not dig that out!

There are no obvious signs of waterlogging, but it is just odd the way the soil keeps disapperaing forming voids next to the walls!

I'm just hoping there isn't a break in the pipe washing the foundations away!

Is a camera the only way to be sure? Or if I had problems would there be blocked drains etc?

Sponsored Links
A camera will be 100% and will probably leave you with a DVD of the job with distances etc. marked on screen.........but it`s ££££££££££. a reputable drain co. should be able to give an idea of price for the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back