Sound Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Have a cupboard under the stairs I would like to sound proof.
It's not that large maybe about 8 X 10 feet with a sloping ceiling.
The reason I want to soundproof is the upstairs flat entrance and stairs run above the cupboard. The people upstairs especially the children tend to slam their front door. Also as their a bit heavy footed the noise comes right through the cupboard and in to the adjoining bedrooms.
I'm not sure if sound proofing the Cupboard will do the trick. But though this would give it a try. Any thoughts on sound proofing panels effective but not to expensive ?
Thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
Are you wanting to prevent sound entering or exiting the cupboard?

If its entering (coming into) then your looking at insulating the sloping stair ceiling in it (sounds like its big enough for a computer room, somewhere to lock the relatives away etc.)
For preventing sound exiting the room you could insulate the walls between it and the bedrooms, which may be better as it will not reduce ceiling height, only length x width.

Have a look at https://www.diynot.com/diy/search/18304813/?q=sound+insulation&o=relevance for other threads where people are asking similar questions on what to use.
Maybe a false wall with sound insulating material in it then plasterboard over will give you a new wall that then allows you to keep the room usable.

I'd have that room as a computer room myself, banned from anywhere visible - hidden away, never to be seen or heard from again (until there is a disaster that needs sorting, like the sky remote has stopped working etc.)

Sponsored Links
Thanks
Yes I want the Sound to not exit the cupboard. I was thinking of insulating every surface apart from the floor. Might even cover the back of the Door. All depends an how expensive the Sound proofing is. Ive seen some panels online which appear to be made up of 3 layers. But quite expensive :eek:

Hi,

I've done LOTS of research on soundproofing and even done some myself. But still, I'm no expert, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Your problem will be the weakest point in the chain. Any weak points will make the whole process a waste of time and money.

Some questions:

1) Where is the sound coming from

We have the exact same situation in our house.

We have sound from:
- the fact that the staircase is flush up against one of our internal walls, so we get sounds though the wall
- the fact that the underside of the stairs forms the sloping roof of the bathroom, so we get impact noise from there
- the fact that the stairs are resting on floorboards / joists that are shared between their space and our space, so noise travels that way
- the fact that the convoluted way the stairs and walls and ceilings are constructed leaves air gaps, so sound travels that way.

What I'm saying is, no point spending loads addressing just one of those - we'd need a more holistic solution.

2) Where do you want to stop the noise getting to?

i.e. if it's fine that sound gets into the cupboard, but not fine if it gets any further, then you are obviously left with a simpler problem.
It's more a case then of working on the cupboard doors and suchlike.

3) What kind of door do you have?

Is the cupboard wall is a stud wall with a door in it?
Is it just a door with no wall?

4) What kind of noise is it?

Is it shuddery impact noise as the staircase physically vibrates
Is it the airborne noise from their side finding a way through?

Fundamentally to stop sound you need to :

-- Reduce / remove any airborne pathways
-- Decouple walls / ceilings / floors (see staggered stud walls)
-- Apply MASS.

You can also, much more cheaply, try absorbing it.

Sounds silly, but an empty, hard walled cupboard will give you a ton more noise than one that is full of heavy drapes, carpeted and full of clutter.

Have a long hard think about the construction of the house in the affected area.
Logically, where are joists and foorboards running?
Is the sound transmission actually from impact on stairs running down to floorboards, which then run under walls to your rooms?

Sorry, I'm babbling now.

Basically, don't think about doing anything until you have genuinely nailed how the sound is getting through.

Then take things from there.

ps. My own house is an object lesson in tricky noise problems that are hard to solve! :)

ps. one more thing.

Unless you are planning on spending an absolute fortune then don't think of it as making the cupboard sound PROOF, rather think of it in terms of small factors that will hopefully help the situation, more like thermal insulation.

Are you on good terms with the neighbours? Would they let your partner stamp on the stairs while you run around with your ear to walls / floorboards etc?

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking of going the cheap route, and installing soundproof carpet underlay, on the walls and back of the door. No idea how much that will trap the noise but will give it a go sometime soon
Thanks
Ian

You'd be better off putting the soundproof carpet underlay on the stairs themselves, and having a friendly chat with the people upstairs. The sound will leak around the stair strings etc. A door closer would stop the door slamming, but I doubt they'd agree to that.

Thanks for the Reply
Not on the best terms with the People upstairs due in part to the noise they make
Plus their A##holes not their fault really just the way they are.
Ian

Try taking a bottle up there with you're best smile on you're face. At least you can say you did you're best, otherwise you put in a noise or anti social behavior complaint. Recent court case got £100k compensation from the people above them for a similar, but obviously worse problem.

Thanks
The noise from upstairs isn't partying or shouting
Just their all a bit hefty and have a heavy tread.
Their kid is the worst for slamming doors and running around. Sometimes I don't really notice becomes background noise.
The Wife's a Nurse and works nights. Hate to have her disturbed with The Front door being slammed shut. Im on nodding terms with them at the moment
Trying to keep the peace in my own way.
I guess if we were upstairs the People below would be complaining about us

Modern living I suspect, but no, I get the impression that if it were mentioned to you, you'd be a tad more considerate. But I could be wrong.

Mentioned his Daughter jumping off the Kitchen Worktop on to the Floor thought she was going to come through the Ceiling
His reply was what do you want me to do Tie her Up?
As you say modern living either live with it or buy a Tent and live in the Wilderness

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back