Soundproofing 1960s end terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently bought a 1960s end terrace house. Haven't moved in yet but while stripping wallpaper, I've noticed noise coming through the party wall, internal door slamming and some conversation. Spent most of the time upstairs and get the impression that noise is travelling from their lounge up through the chimney and making it into the upstairs bedroom.

The fireplace downstairs has been covered up. I've tapped it to see if it's hollow or solid and it's solid, apart from a hollow bit on the bottom center.

The second (bedroom) and third (loft) pictures are taken on the same line, i.e. I've just stepped back a bit and climbed on a ladder to get the shot of the loft.

What strikes me as a bit strange is that there's a protrusion in the lounge and in the loft but nothing in the bedroom.

Basically, I'm looking for a bit of guidance/thoughts from members on what my best course of action is here. Had a look at the soundproofing store's reducto clip system but if the noise is travelling through the chimney, is this likely to be effective?

Lounge.jpg
Bedroom.jpg
Loft.jpg

Chimney.PNG

Sponsored Links
First question has to be what is supporting that chimney stack?
After that, have a look under the floorboards in the bedroom- do the joists run into the party wall? Any holes in the walls between joists, esp. where the chimney breast might have been.
Have a measure of the party wall thickness- you may find the downstairs is full brick (9 inch) but upstairs is only half brick).

As above, check first floor joists first. The direction of floor boards should tell you if joists are built into the party wall? Otherwise install an attenuation system of some sort. Which sort depends whether you want to fabricate something yourself or buy a system off the shelf? Fabrication would be cheaper and more cost effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back