Soundproofing a wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old Victorian terrace. I want to sound proof a wooden floor to reduce noise from downstairs. It's been suggested I put down a barrier mat, db soundproofing matting 15, tecsound 100 and then engineered wood floor. Does this sound about right and if so recommendations for sourcing the materials? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Carpet with thick underlay would be better than any solid floor covering .

For a number of reasons I want to keep a wood floor and I do prefer engineered to laminate as I think it's not as noisy. It's the soundproofing bit that I'm not sure about.

Do you own the whole house or just the downstairs?

I had an Edwardian house with thick and heavy lime plaster, which was very effective at blocking sound. Have your ceilings been replaced yet?

Sponsored Links
I live in an old Victorian terrace. I want to sound proof a wooden floor to reduce noise from downstairs. It's been suggested I put down a barrier mat, db soundproofing matting 15, tecsound 100 and then engineered wood floor. Does this sound about right and if so recommendations for sourcing the materials? Many thanks
Are you aware that you'll need to take circa 35mm of the bottom of your doors using that? No comments about the material, other than to say it seems a bit on the thin side for what the manufacturers promise, but bear in mind that noise also transmits through walls, etc as well as through the floors and that lower frequency noises require a different approach to high frequency ones

Last edited by a moderator:
Be aware that some flats have a ban on not having carpets.
If your building has that rule, you may lay the floor and find that the downstairs neighbour complains

What does he lease say?
Do internal renovations require agreement from the management?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back